Losing my dad

Two weeks ago my dad died suddenly on his birthday of all days, and I am struggling so much we spoke most days had the same personality I can’t envisage a day when I don’t cry. I am also trying to be of support to my mother who has dementia, dad did everything for her so everything has fell on me there are no other family or friends I can ask for help. Although my small children are providing a welcome distraction I am leaning on my husband a lot at the moment. I am struggling with guilt a lot wondering if I had phoned him before he went to bed that night would I have sensed something was not right and could of saved him I just hope he knows how much he was loved and I hope I can get through this, but at the moment it feels impossible.

Hello @Flossy2,

I’m so sorry for the loss of your dad. Thank you for sharing this with us. I’m just giving your thread a gentle, “bump” for you - hopefully someone will have some thoughts to share.

Take good care,
Alex

Hi there i am so sorry for your loss i lost my dad a year ago to cancer. He was diagnosed in September and died in February 2023. He refused chemotherapy which I was initially against but I had to respect his decision. I am an only child and my dad and I were very close. I have not really had time to grieve for him as I am having to look after my mum who has oncoming dementia and most days doesn’t even remember that he is no longer here. I have no answers but just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. Its pure bloody awful

1 Like

Thank you it’s so tough isn’t it my mom lives on her own and is refusing any help I don’t know how long she will be able to live there with her dementia I am an only child as well so everything is falling on me to sort out as well as looking after two children of 5 and 4. I hope it gets easier for you and you get some support and a break. Message me anytime for support look after yourself.