Losing my daughter

So, here I am 20 months on from losing my girl
She would have been 40 in November, that is stressing me already, but, 2 wks later, my partners girl is also 40
There will be a family gathering, I’m expected to attend
I know it’s not her fault my girl died, I just can’t control my feelings of I suppose, resent!!!
I’m really not like this and I don’t understand why I feel like this?

Hello @Birchwood ,

I’m so sorry for the loss of your daughter. Thank you for sharing this with us. I’m just giving your thread a gentle, “bump” for you - hopefully someone will have some thoughts to share.

Take good care,
Alex

Im so sorry, this must be awful for you. Would it be possible for you to go for just a short while to the party but then be able to leave if you need to? I’m sure people will understand it’s going to be very hard for you. I think your feelings are completely natural, it doesn’t make you bad at all. Of course you will think why your daughter can’t be there and having a party. It’s part of your deep love for her. I am so sorry and sending hugs and good wishes.

Birchwood - We went to our nephews wedding last week, 17 months after losing our daughter. I was so worried beforehand about going, as I find being around ‘happy families’ who don’t live with the grief we suffer, very difficult. I understand the feelings of grief that make it hard to be happy or joyful for others. I went because I wanted our nephew to know that we love him and wish him well, but I did get very upset. I went a walk and sat in our car, totally overcome with emotions and crying ‘why was my daughter denied all of this?’ As Magsclar said, have yourself an escape plan - just to give yourself some time out. People will understand, and if they don’t - well that’s their problem. I hope you find some peace - sending love and support.

2 Likes

My daughter Caren passed away 12 weeks ago on a Fri, the following Wednesday my sister from Australia had organised a get together for the whole family which was a private event.
Reluctantly I went as this might have been the last time I saw my sister because of how far Australia is, I was among family and they all understood if I had to leave. I felt guilty for being there and it was only my daughter on my mind the whole time.
My sister returned to Australia after staying on for Caren’s funeral, she unfortunately had a seizure and is now undergoing chemo treatment for brain tumours. Now looking back I am glad I went to my sister’s get together, I don’t know how I managed but I guess I just went through the motions.
Us of all people never know what is around the corner so even in these dark difficult times we must try to make an effort. Hope that helps but you must go with your heart, people will understand if you choose not to go.

1 Like

How awful for you. No, we never know in life. I’m so sorry you have had to face this. All good wishes for your sister. X

1 Like

Thank you, it’s so hard. I can’t get my head round not seeing my beautiful daughter again. I just wish her to come home, just to walk through the door, have a cuppa with me, to receive a message from her or go for a walk with her. I ask why, why did this have to happen. It’s so unbelievable. I miss her so much. It’s going to be so hard to live without her. :broken_heart::sob:

2 Likes

Sending you so much love and good wishes :heart:. I am so sorry xxx

1 Like