Losing my husband

Hello Jude, thank you, yes its seems to be so much harder since the funeral :cry: :broken_heart: and I am also afraid of forgetting him :cry:

2 Likes

Hi everyone is right in what they say. We were in isolation for 10 days after my husband passed so couldn’t see anyone or have a proper Irish wake which we found so difficult. The funeral didn’t happen for nearly 2,weeks and although the day of the funeral was horrendous the weeks since are worse. Like everyone out there living every day with the death of my lovely husband is the worse thing I have ever experienced. My heart is with all of you as I wouldn’t wish anyone to be feeling like this. We all just have to hope it gets easier and we will forget our loved ones. Nichola I’m sure you will never let that happen. You loved him too much Take care

2 Likes

Hi Constance. I am also new to this. We have both taken the first step to move forward. I lost my husband to cancer 5 months ago after 44 years of marriage. I understand. It is lonely and silent. We married young and grew up together. Every day is different. I try to make a promise or a plan to do something the next day before I go to bed. It does seem that some days now there is no purpose. But there is and will be. Your husband would not want you to be sad. It is not easy at all. I feel for you and totally understand where you are. Take care and little steps for now. X

2 Likes

Thank you Janet. I’m sorry about your loss. This awful journey we are all on is so unbearable at times. I feel so alone even when my daughters are here. I do the same I try to give myself something to do every day so I can have something to do but then I just sit down and the day seems so long. Every day is like Groundhog Day. I just hoping that one day I’ll start to feel something- anything except this never ending pain and loneliness. My thoughts are with you

2 Likes

Good Morning Constance.
Thankyou for your reply and kind words. Today is another day. And yes we are on the same page and same journey. You are not alone. What shall I do today? Well the answer is as yet I do not know. Lets see where we go. Yes the days are long and I sometimes too make a plan and Then I
lack motivation. More so on a very cold or wet day. I guess that this is normal too. So however your day goes today Constance remember that you are not on this journey alone. My thoughts and best wishes are with you today. Take care .X

Hi Constance
I’m also new to this and I lost my husband to a heart attack 7 weeks ago tomorrow. I feel so sad and lonely, we had been married for 45years. I don’t know how I’m going to carry on. My 2 sons have been amazing, helping me with all the stuff that needs sorting out. I hope that time will help but the days seem so long now. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get through this awful time?

Hello Gillie, I am afraid the grief takes as long as it is necessary, each person is different :cry::cry: . I am still so distraught and missing my husband so much :cry: :disappointed:. I am having a therapy session once a week with a nurse from my doctors practice. She has told me to write my feelings down when they become overwhelming. It does help, but doesn’t stop me breaking down every day :sleepy::sleepy::sleepy: We weren’t able to spend our last anniversary together or my birthday as he was in hospital and the covid restrictions wouldn’t let me visit him :cry::cry::cry: that was so :broken_heart: :pensive: :cry:. Please take care, this is a lovely place to have a chat xxxx

Hallo Gillie6
I am so sorry to hear of your sudden Loss. I lost my husband to cancer 5 months ago. It was 7 months from his Diagnosis. I have 2 sons who to have been of great support in different ways with different personalities. I agree the days seem long and empty. I also lost my 15 year old loyal dog 3 months after my husbands passing on Christmas eve… She was pining and waiting for him too. I think along with the long winter months Covid and restrictions our journey of grief has been very unkind. I try to set goals for the next day. Realistic ones…although some days this changes and I just accept it is what it is. I am sure it will get better. It is really comforting to join this forum and not feel alone. Do take care and look after yourself. X

1 Like

Hallo Nicola
I am so sorry for your loss. My heart breaks for you. Your story is quite similar to mine. My husband received his cancer diagnosis in January last year as Terminal. He started on some targeted therapy but became very unwell. The treatment was stopped and he too was in and out of hospital as his health and condition deteriorated. We knew time was short. Covid played a big part in lost time. He passed away in September. It still feels very raw. Take each day as it comes. I have recently joined this community chat and have to say it is of great comfort to share and talk to people who genuinely understand. Get strength through your daughter as I have from my 4 year old grandson. He told me yesterday I will look after you nanny…I am here for you. His own words and feelings. I cried and he cuddled me and cried too. Wise words from a young soul. Take care. X

4 Likes

Constance, I can relate very much to what you are saying.
My husband passed away a year ago, we were married 36 years and I still cry every day, I love and miss him so much💔
I still feel like I am existing. If I think of the future, I can’t see it without him😥
Everyone says it gets easier, but I am can’t see that yet. I put on a face when I am with anyone and they all say how strong I am but they don’t really know the heartache.
I hope you have good support around you and I am so sorry for your loss. :hugs::hugs:

Hi Constance
Lost my husband late September 2020, he died from small cell lung cancer at the age of 56. I really know how you are feeling like everyone else on this site. I thought I was going to go mad with grief with the heart wrenching sobbing, I just couldn’t stop. At the end of this month it will be 6 months without him, I still cry every day but have also started to think about our great times together and that does give small comfort. My dog has kept me going!!! Things will never be the same but I do think they get slightly easier. Thinking of you

1 Like

Hi Constance. The worst thing for me was looking at my Ron’s clothes and the bracelets he wore. He had some lovely shirts and they all had memories. The worst thing was looking at the jewellery. He wore leather bracelets and I could hear him saying ‘help me fasten this Mo.’ It tore me apart so I gave the bracelets ,except one, to his best mate who hangs it over a photograph of Ron. I also kept a shirt he loved and the bobbly hat he wore for chemo. I hated that hat but now I treasure it. I gave away the rest of his clothes and I felt so much better when I didn’t break down everytime I saw them. Sometimes we torture ourselves when we are grieving. We all do what gives us comfort but when something hurts to the core we have to let go. I will never loose my husbands memory even now that his clothes are gone and at the time I felt like I had thrown him out.

1 Like

Hi Angie,
I have kept my husband’s last t-shirt he wore and haven’t washed it and his smell is still on it , I gave his clothes to our adopted son, so he wears them with pride and I can still see them and know they are being looked after. I also kept his hairbrush and his glasses . I just feel closer to him by keeping a,few items close to me xxxx

Hello constance, its a very sad time. We all understand how you are feeling and the support on here reallys helps. Just being able to off load your feelings. I to keep my husbands pyjama top which smells of him. I have it dressed on a pillow in my beb. I cuddle it when i go to bed and talk to it. Might sound cra,y but it helps. X

I lost husband on 6 December I total feel the same lost I need so much I sit hours talking to his photo . Just feel so low and people say it take time I don’t want time want him back . Silly I know put how I see it

3 Likes

Den, I talk to my husband all the time and kiss his ashes urn and photo every morning and at night :cry::cry: time is considered a healer, but nothing can mend my broken heart. I just want him to hold me again :pensive: :sleepy:

2 Likes

Hi Den
It’s not silly I talk to my husband Paul around the house, it’s now 3 weeks…I feel the same when people ask what can they do to help I feel like saying bring him back. It’s the funeral next week I’m dreading it.