Losing my lovely husband

On the 5th February this year my lovely husband passed away. He had gone into hospital for a routine procedure which resulted in him having severe pancreatitis. He came home after 15 days in hospital still very unwell. After 2 + weeks of being at home he had to go back into hospital, he just was so unwell and he could not eat anything. When he went back into hospital he tested negative for Covid but a few days later he tested positive. When they told him this news he just gave up his fight to live. He was so weak and frail and he didn’t have the strength to fight. He was 72. Because of the virus I wasn’t able to go and be with him and hold his hand while he passed away. We had been together for 50 years, I was 16 and he was 22 when we first got together. I am devastated and heartbroken and I just feel so lost and cannot see a future for me. I know I have to build a new life for myself but everything feels so hard right now.

1 Like

Hello Heather,

I’m so sorry to hear about about the loss of your husband. It sounds as though things are very tough at the moment and you are feeling overwhelmed.

I’m glad that you’ve been able to share how you are feeling here, and I hope that you find the community a good source of support. Everyone here has experienced the loss of a loved one and will understand some of what you are going through.

Sue Ryder offers an online bereavement counselling service. This is a free service and sessions are held via video chat so you can attend from home. There’s more information about this service here: www.sueryder.org/counselling

Another good place to get support is your GP, they can refer you to counselling or support services in your local area.

Take care,

Michelle

Online Community team