Losing my mum as an only child

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I’m pleased to connect with you all.

I lost my mother at the end of July to lung cancer. She was a fit, active and healthy 84 year old who was living life to the full - so it came as a huge shock to lose her after a late and unexpected diagnosis. I am an only child and my dad died when I was a baby, so my mum was literally my whole world and we were very close. We had holidays planned to Majorca and Paris and lots of things to look forward to, which is why I’m still struggling to accept that she has gone.

I’ve been in survival mode since she passed away and being an only child has meant that I’ve been stressed out with the weight of responsibility that has fallen on my shoulders in both arranging the funeral and now managing her estate as the co-executor of her will. I am also single and have no children of my own which has added another layer of disenfranchised grief as there’s been no one to share decisions with or even everyday practical things like working out how to put on the central heating at my mum’s. Last weekend I was in tears because I was unable to reverse my mum’s car into the garage because I’m not a confident driver. In the past, mum would have done it in 5 minutes, whereas now I have to ask the neighbours and wait until they are available to help. Seemingly small everyday things like that become emotionally charged when there’s no one to help you.

On the positive side my cousins on my dad’s side have really stepped up and done a huge amount for me in terms of arranging the funeral and staying with me. But since the funeral I’ve felt very lonely and the loss of my mum has felt more acute. I just feel anxious and unsettled knowing that my main anchor in life has gone.

2 Likes

Hi @Auburngirl,

Thank you for having the courage to reach out and tell us about your situation. I’m so sorry to hear about your mum. It sounds like you had a really close and special bond, especially after your dad died. I’m glad to hear the cousins on your dad’s side have stepped up and helped you. It’s completely understandable to be feeling lonely, anxious and unsettled after losing someone who was an anchor for you and such a big part of your life.

You are not alone. I’m not sure if you’ve had a look through our Losing a parent category. But there you can connect with other members who are living with grief after losing a parent, including other only children.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support to you. In the meantime, you might find these Sue Ryder resources helpful to read.

I hope you find the community to be a support to you. Take good care and keep reaching out :blue_heart:

I’m so sorry for your loss x

I’m also an only child, and lost my mam in June. We were extremely close and I lived with her most of my life as well as caring for her for many years due to disability and also cognitive issues in the last 4 or 5 years. I lost my dad when I was 27 and mam and I cared for him for 6 years before he passed. My whole life was about her, and I am not coping with losing her at all. I still cry every day. I also had the responsibility of organising her funeral (2 days after she passed), as well as being the executor of her Will and dealing with all the legal stuff. My partner is wonderful, but we lost his mum 3 weeks after mine so it’s been an very sad time for both of us. I have no answers for you because I haven’t got a grip of it all myself. It still doesn’t seem real, but please know you aren’t alone xx