Losing my mum

I lost my mum in July 2022 after she lost her battle with cancer and I am finding grief just so overwhelming and it is getting worse and worse. I know people say it takes times and that you learn to live with it but at the moment I just can’t see it. The only thing that would take this pain away is to have my mum back so how can it ever get any better.

It is getting to the point its affecting my sleep and concentrating at work - I just feel like I’ve got a dark cloud over me and I can’t get out of it.

At what point do you ask for help, when does it change from the normal grieving process?

Hi @Lozza3, thank you for reaching out to the community - I hope you find it to be a support. I’m so sorry for the loss of your mum.

Everybody is different, but you might want to read our How long goes grief last? support page as it talks about some signs that it might be time to ask for help.

You might also find it helpful to watch this video about complicated grief too. In it, our Head of Bereavement Bianca shares signs that you might be experiencing complicated grief and need some further support.

I hope that this is helpful - take good care.

Seaneen

1 Like

Hi Lozza3
My mum passed away suddenly at the end of December and no 2 days are the same. You are further down the line than me and I feel like I don’t know if this will be any easier to deal with. Today has been really tough and I don’t know why, I had a rotten sleep last night and today I can’t stop crying it just hits me.
Mums are special and we only get one. At least you have done the right thing by talking about it, this site is good as we all are in the same position and maybe something someone says or tells you how they feel or dealt with something will help you.

Sending you hugs
Valda x