Losing my mum

My mum passed away last June after only being diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in April 2023.
I have been on pilot mode since she died, I have started counselling but my anxiety around the grief and work are starting to take over.
I don’t seem to be able to relax and my partner and I have just come back for a weeks holiday where I haven’t really been present.
We are approaching the 1 year date and I am currently relieving all the momentous days this time last year, the first time we knew there was something wrong, the date of her first check up, all the visits to the hospitals for scans etc.
I just seem to be relieving it all over again.
Not sure when things will start to look up, my partner lost his mum suddenly the year before so we have each other to support but I still feel alone

2 Likes

Hello @Phil2400,

I’m part of the Online Community team and I can see that you are new to the community - I’d like to thank you for bravely starting this thread and sharing how you are feeling. I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your mum. Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and so will understand some of what you are going through.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that might be helpful.

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care,
Alex

Its incredibly tough and I can 100% understand what you are going through, stay strong buddy and it’s good to have a support. Ik at times it feels lonely and you don’t understand a lot of things, its feels unfair and when I lost my mom 6 months back I still have flashbacks every night and I ask so many questions that nobody can answer.

Stay strong and be with your partner always.

Hi i feel exactly the same. I lost.my lovely mum in November and its still difficult to move on.
My anxiety around grief and work are starting to take hold and becoming uncomfortable. I swim to control things but may have to go doctors if it carries on.
Its so hard i hope you can talk to someone?
My husband listens to me and i ho to a councillor.
Sending love xxx