Losing my wife

I very recently lost my wife and best friend of 21 years. Her funeral was 2 days ago, im completely lost. We have a son and 2 daughters. She had necrosive pancreatitis and was in icu for 2 months before she passed. Ive never felt so alone. It feels like the past 2 1/2 months haven’t really happened or happened to someone else. I have been off work since the day she went into hospital and cant even face the outside world. Everyone else is carrying on as normal and it feels like my life is over. Is anyone else experiencing the early stages of grief?

5 Likes

Dear @Sasaaf ,

what you are experiencing is a horrible, traumatizing nightmare.

Especially the first months of grief are extremely painful, one feels nothing but sadness and despair.

In the long run you will get somewhat better, but there will be quite a few setbacks.

The pain, the sadness and the despair will fade into the background, but they’ll always be present.

It’s important for you to be kind to yourself and to take good care of yourself.
Your beloved wife is watching out for you from Heaven and she wants you to do just that.

If you don’t feel like eating I‘d recommend some high-calorie weight gainer.
They come in a wide variety of flavors, either ready-made or as a powder to mix with milk.

May God bless, guide, protect and comfort you!

Kind regards - Joe

3 Likes

Hi sasaf. I lost my partner Theresa in March we were together 35 years, it is now over 5 months . The first 3/4 months was like a daze then the reality kicks in, you are still very early into this horrible situation we find ourselves in. It is understandable to feel the way you are, their is really no set time for dealing with grief, posting on this site helps me as I know I’m not alone in feeling the way I do and there is always someone who will try and help you cope, take care

3 Likes

So sorry to hear your story,i lost my wife 8 weeks ago to cancer related issues .I returned to work this week for my own personnel reasons(trying to stay sane). I’m really sorry their is nothing anyone can say that will ease your pain and grief. i think i have an idea of what your going through as i am experiencing the same things. if you ever want to message me please reach out,i don’t have any answers but i have an idea of how your feeling.

2 Likes

I lost my Soulmate partner of 26 years aged 59 only 8 weeks ago after a long illness.I certainly feel your pain- a torturous endurance.I can only say from my short experience on this hell of a journey is not to rush the grief.Self care is vital & to do what is right for you, whatever that may be. Try to eat something however small & speak to your GP if sleep is a problem. This site has some lovely , supportive people who share the same journey so if we can help please reach out go us.

Look after yourself,

A​:mending_heart:

2 Likes

Thank you so much, i also lost my wife aged 59 only 9 weeks ago also after a long illness. Unfortunately we have both started this horrible journey together in similar circumstances. knowing i am not on my own really helps . thankyou again for taking the time to read and reply.

2 Likes

You are welcome to connect with me. Been alone for 8yrs. Been the hardest time in my.life. the loneliness ans overwhelm is immense.

1 Like