Losing parents and gained a dog 🐶

I lost my dad over the Christmas period he died suddenly. Back in 2019 . We went away for Christmas this year and my mum was taken ill whilst we were away for dads anniversary and unfortunately she died a few days later . So in two years I have lost both parents. I have No brothers and sisters .
Friends struggling to visit or know what to say and I feel alone

2 Likes

Dear @Bec49

Welcome to the Community. I am sorry for your loss and that you feel alone.

Have you looked at any local support bereavement groups in your area? It would be worth considering seeing your GP for support and to see how they can help and to chat too.

It can be very difficult with friends as not everyone knows how to react or what to say. You are not alone and we are here for you. You can connect with members here on the forum who will have experienced what you are going through. In the search bar type Losing a Parent and you can connect and chat to members. The support is amazing.

Please continue to reach out and take care.

Pepsi

1 Like

poor dear I lost mine three years apart am an only child. so I understand. been five years. it is no fun. I love dogs! and they love me :smile:

write any time you are not alone …

1 Like

It’s certainly is tough . Just about got my head around losing my dad and now trying to sort all this out . I lost my dog back in November so we were looking at getting a new one after Christmas.
But as mum died I’ve ended up with her dog . It is making things a bit easier to have a hug with her .
I feel sorry for her as I bet she also wonders what on earth is going on .Losing both her owners☹️
I feel people are staying away , they are about just after someone dies but then it’s less and less communication.

that is people, across the board.

they will never care as much as you do.

people do what they can. I learned to let go of resentments and to rely on them. better to rely on yourself though lonely better than feeling confused as to why they do not act as you expect them to.

1 Like

Hi just wondering how you are doing ?
I’m struggling. Ok one minute and then hits you like a train .
It does make things a little easier that I have my parents dog pickle .
I lost my choc lab in November last year and miss her and wish I could hug and talk rubbish to her !
But pickle too has firstly lost my dad and now my mum . Bet she wonders why she has a different home
Bec

hi there!

yes, I have these experiences. mostly when I am alone. I was out to lunch a lecture, going to a telescope party, visited a friend in a nursing home … I am always so much better when with people. we were all conversing at the pool yesterday for a birthday. I have a little journalism work.

have to go out of town for a project. but when I am home alone too long … then I implode. I am much further along in my bereavement than you.

do not force yourself. but a bit at a time … a step at a time.

poor pickle! choc labs are my fav. I wrote a story about dogs running their own country and of course the president is a lab.

life really is harder alone. I hope I find a nice gentleman friend. I am alone because I was not careful in choosing the last time. life is not a playground it is quite serious business.

take care write any time. bear through it. grief support classes helped me and I see a counselor once a week.

p.s. I did not mean to sound breezy.

I think of my mom and dad many times a day … all of the time … I miss them, profoundly.

I know how you might feel … and I am sure Pickle is bewildered. they are our whole lives if you are lucky enough to be so close. I lived with my mom and dad on and off my whole life … and now I am alone. it STINKS. :gift_heart:

Hi @Bec49

I am so sorry for your loss. Must have been an horrendous ordeal.

I can totally sympathise on the friends front…no-one knows what to say so we don’t even mention it now. I find it easier to talk on here with strangers than my own family and friends.

I lost my Dad in January 2022 very suddenly and I was not coping at all. I was crying every day, lost all enthusiasm for life, didn’t want to go to work (but had to), life just wasn’t the same.

In the end my Mum decided it was time for us to get a puppy. Our last dog died in May 2020. We moved house in January 2021 and now we have a new puppy and although she is hard work, it has really helped mend some of my broken heart. She is currently chewing my zip as I write this!

Animals have a funny way of helping us deal with the unthinkable and just know when we need a cuddle or how to put a smile on our faces.

Please continue to reach out as we are all here for you. Take care and sending lots of love,

Roisin

Hi
I agree pickle my inherited springer spaniel has settled in better now . I lost my dog back in November 2021 . So we were looking at getting another this year . Just said it was just sad circumstances of losing mum .
Hope you are getting on ok with your pup
Bec x