Losing Parents at a young age

Hi,
I lost my mum to cancer at 3 years old and my father disappeared out of my life at the same. This year will be 20 years since she passed ( and he left). I am lucky that my aunt (on her side) raised me well but cannot escape the emptiness I feel. Even after all this time, I thought sitting with me grief things would improve but now all that seems clear is how much things she’s missed out in my life. My therapist suggested reaching out to find other people who may know what it feels like to have experienced grief so young.

I hope maybe someone can relate…even just a little bit

How can I grow beyond grief when it feels as if I’ve spent my whole life grieving?

I feel, I have to settle in this pit of grief, there hasn’t been a before, there is no after, it’s just this…

Not growing up with either of my parents has robbed me of so much joy growing up. I’m not sure if talking to someone who understands will help me but it’s worth a shot I guess.

1 Like

I am sorry for your loss and things you had to go through in your life. It must’ve been really difficult to grow up without parents but I am happy you had a aunt. I lost my mom very recently and I am in my early 20’s and griefing but can’t really understand what you are going through but I feel someone in this community will surely understand better.

Take care of yourself, and never blame yourself for anything. You are an amazing person and a very resilient person to be honest. Stay strong and reach out anytime you feel like

Hi,
Thanks for replying, I’m sorry for your loss. I understand how hard this must be for you, especially trying to navigate your 20s with such a loss. I hope you have some people in your life to talk too. Likewise please feel free to reach out I’ll be happy to lend an ear :)Thank you so so much for your kind words, take care

1 Like

I can’t even begin to imagine how you might be feeling. My mum lost her parents (both of them died) when she was 15, and I know that she still finds it very hard, 60 years later. :yellow_heart:

I am trying to manage alone right now, life just changes and a lot of things just stays in your heart isn’t it? You know there so many questions in life whose answer you just can’t get and the more you try for a closure it affects you even more. I apologize but I don’t know I just felt connected to you. Take care Raina

Hi, thanks for replying I’m sorry to hear about your mothers parents. Sending a lot of love to you both

1 Like

I understand you completely, sometimes I feel it’s easier to try and cope alone since it’s hard to find people who understand. Don’t apologize! I am happy to listen.

1 Like