Losing people close to me

We all knew my husband’s aunt has got cancer but now it has gone to stage 4 cancer and that it has spread to her bones, spine and spinal cord and now this week her health has worsened with sepsis and the cancer has spread to her brain. The doctors are not looking optimistic so we may lose her possibly this week or next week. It’s just the waiting game. It will be devastating for everyone involved around her. Though her health has gone into decline ever since her only daughter passed away a few years ago. I am struggling to come to terms with this as I lost my beloved grandfather to lung cancer five years ago so I know what they’re going through at the moment. I wish I could be of more support to the family but I fear it would trigger the memory of losing my grandfather. I want to support my husband like he did when my grandfather passed away but don’t know how.

Hello @WelshSongBird1992,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing how you’re feeling right now. I’m very sorry to hear of your husband’s aunt’s illness. It sounds like both you and your husband are going through anticipatory grief right now.

You mention that you want to support your husband, but you don’t know how. Our Grief Kind campaign has created lots of resources to help you to support someone you love through grief. You can:

• Watch our Grief Kind classes. Our Grief Kind classes are five short video tutorials in which Sue Ryder bereavement experts talk you through what grief is like and how you can support others who are grieving
  • Listen to our Grief Kind podcasts. . Our Grief Kind podcasts are hosted by author, journalist and Sue Ryder ambassador, Clover Stroud. She speaks with celebrities about their personal experiences of bereavement and the support which helped them most when coping with their grief.
  • Read our Supporting someone who has been bereaved guide.

Both yourself and your husband may also find these resources helpful for coping with your grief:

I really hope that you find these links helpful - take good care,

Seaneen