Losing your best friend to anorexia..

Words cant explain to how heartbroken i am at losing my best friend. I visited her only two weeks ago and told her how i was scared that she was going to die. I watched her over the 9 years become a shell of the person she used to be. In and out of hospital continuously … always thinking ‘is this it’ but nothing could prepare me for her nans phone call telling me how she was put in an induced coma, organs failing, on a ventilator and there was only so much they could do. Her finally heart stopped. i am truly devastated and my sadness just comes in waves. One moment i feel ok and the next im crying looking at parma violet sweets. She was only 24. I even sent her a text message and just dont want it to be real, i just want her to reply to me and tell me everything will be ok.

Dear bonbon1,

Welcome to the Online Community. I’m so terribly sorry your best friend has died from such a cruel disease as anorexia. Your loss is still very raw and recent, so the feelings you describe are completely normal and understandable. You need time and space to look after yourself and come to terms with your friend’s death.

Have you spoken with anyone about what you are going through? Although it might seem difficult, talking to your friends and family about your feelings can be very helpful. On our online community there are also lots of people who understand how you feel.

If you think you could benefit from counselling, your GP would be able to advise you of any local services where you can find support or, alternatively, we offer free online bereavement counselling that you’d be more than welcome to register for. There’s more information about that here: https://support.sueryder.org/bereavement-counselling

We’re here to support you so do let me know if there’s anything I can do for you.

Best wishes,

Irene