Loss and Universal Credit.

I lost my partner Brian in August of this year, we were together 28 years and we’d had a civil partnership of 17 years, i’ve just joined this site and I’ve read a few of the topics posted.
I consider my self lucky, i have a good support network of friends and family who look out for me and make sure i’m ok.
Christmas is just around the corner, Brian loved Christmas, i’m spending it with Brians daughter ( my step daughter ) and our granddaughter, it’ll be hard but i’m expecting to get upset and emotional, i keep forgetting that its only been 4 months since he passed.
I’ve had to apply for Universal Credit and what a joy that has been. In January i’m now expected to look for work even though i’m only 2 years off retirement, i can’t wait. Has any body else had to deal with the Job Centre?

Hello @Portboy75 ,

I’m so sorry for the loss of your partner. Thank you for sharing this with us. I’m just giving your thread a gentle, “bump” for you - hopefully someone will have some thoughts to share.

Take good care,
Alex

So sorry to read of your loss. I lost my partner of 23 years in August of last year and I still cry every single day. Unfortunately although we had discussed a civil partnership we hadn’t gotten around to it. I’ve no experience of claiming Universal Credit but the rules of applying for work to obtain I expect will only apply until you ‘retire’. Good luck and I really hope that things get easier for you as time goes by.

Hi portboy welcome and good to chat with you.
Yeah I have many years experience with jobcentre , it’s included on my CV .
Jobcentre said same to me a few years ago, oh you still have so many years to work yet before I retire age

Do sorry about your partner, how are you today?
I have had a recent family loss I am a carer for my mum , mum applied for help with her daughter and my sister’s funeral service. Mum was turned down we did not receive any help from dwp
It is all paid now but we have lost 7 in our family within 12 months , my uncle was in October. Big fit 70yr old guy, ex merchant navy, did not smoke but liked his tot rum.
I hope everything begins to get better for you soon and send you my best wishes freind.
Take care

Apologies portboy I have just noticed the date on your post , 2023 and replied.
Hope everything a little better for you.
I am new to the forum , does it show much ?
All the best to you friend
Take care

Thanks for your interest, things have moved on since I posted that.
I found I needed something to do, after caring for someone in ill health for so long there was a huge gap in my life.
In a fit of pique I applied to Durham University to study archeology, I’ve now been offered an unconditional place and I will start studying in September, I also have a new man in my life, he works away a lot and we see each other when we can, it works for me not having some one that’s always around at the moment.
I hope everything’s going as well as it can be for you.
Regards
N.

2 Likes

Thank you for your interest, things have moved on since I posted that message.
I’ve accepted a post to study archeology at Durham University starting in September and I have a new man in my life, finances get a bit strained now and again but I muddle through.
I hope everything’s going as well as it can for you.
Regards.
N.

Hi Portboy, good to chat with you and thanks for your reply.
I near Durham, about 1 hour away,
Good luck with uni, i am sure you will do well. How long is your studies. 2yrs?
I happy you for someone new , everyone needs company , a hug and a shoulder to lean on.
I got the brains and quals for uni , wanted to go med school newcastle but joined Royal Navy instead aged 18 yrs.

All the best friend and hope the is happiness for you very soon.
Good Luck for the future in all you do.

I’m also glad to hear that you’re moving on with your life Portboy. (Coincidentally I also live not far from Durham in Newcastle. Life is funny that way isn’t it?) You are lucky to have found a new man in your life and I wish you all the very best on that front. Good luck at Uni too. Maybe one day I’ll also find another man as Col is correct, we all need that contact and support.

Hiya,
My Archeology course runs for 4 years, i live near Redcar.
N.

Hi , that’s interesting I love subjects like that.
I have always wanted to go and look around Rome and Egypt , look for inscriptions on walls, find prices of artifacts. Interesting.
I think Egyptians were really clever and amazing building the pyramids compared to the way we build now. Our buildings crumble after 50yrs

If they are not demolished first!!

I lived briefly in Saltburn and then Middlesbrough back in the late 80’s. Small world!