Loss of a parent

Hi first time on here. 4 years ago I lost 4 people close to me with a spate of 2 month. Starting with my mum to short battle with cancer. 4 years later my step dad who I’ve been caring for since Easter this year got taken into hospital for struggling to stand n keep balance. 4 days later he had passed away. I don’t know how I’m coping atm. My head has sort of gone into autopilot and some days can’t remember what I did the day before. Don’t feel like I have accepted my mum’s death yet and now I’m feeling back to square one with coping with dad’s death. My coping mechanism when my mum passed was turned to woodwork but this year I’ve not managed to even look at the workshop without thinking just chuck a match in it.

Hello Fer,

Welcome to the Sue Ryder community and I’m very pleased that you have found us here.

I’m so sorry to read about everything you have been going through. It’s a huge amount to cope with and it sounds as though things are very tough for you at the moment.

I hope that you find the community a good source of support. Everyone here has experienced the loss of a loved one and will understand some of what you are going through. Please keep posting and checking in with us.

Sue Ryder offers an online bereavement counselling service. This is a free service and sessions are held via video chat so you can attend from home. There’s more information about this service here: www.sueryder.org/counselling

Take care,

Susannah

Online Community team

Thank you sue. It’s nice to be able to get things off my chest.