Loss of a Parent

Hi,

My mum passed away last night and I am really struggling to come to terms with it. She was unwell for a long period of time, but her death was very sudden. I wasn’t able to get to her in time to be with her when she passed away. The pain I’m experiencing doesn’t seem real, it’s truly the worst I’ve ever felt.

5 Likes

I’m so sorry. My mum passed 5 weeks ago today and I also wasn’t there. I wasn’t told she was end of life. She had copd for a long time. It’s awful complex grief that I’m seeking counselling for. Is this something you would consider? Please be kind to yourself and give yourself time to heal x

2 Likes

Crimson, sending love and strength. Look after yourself, and keep posting here. We all understand :yellow_heart:.

2 Likes

I was also told she would be on end of life care, but she passed away the same day they discharged her from the hospital to the nursing home. What makes it worse is the fact the nursing home tried to call me on my old phone number; had they called my correct number, I could have had a chance of being with her when she passed.

I’m also very sorry to hear about your loss.

I have a talking therapy appointment booked for tomorrow, so I’m hoping that will help. I just don’t know what to do with myself at the moment.

I’m her only relative and it’s just hard.

Thank you for your kind words.

2 Likes

Im so very sorry for your loss @Crimson. I lost my mum 4 months ago. There are no words I can say that will ease your pain right now, but please know that you are not alone. There are so many people on here who have lost a loved one, and can offer support, advice and a judgement free space to share whatever you’re feeling. Just take things one hour at a time, one minute at a time if need be. :heart:

4 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss. It’s awful as it feels like someone pulls the rug out from under you, and it just leaves a big hole. My mum passed on boxing day, she had passed before i got there. Her hands were still warm. I had left the hospital in the morning of boxing day and she was doing okay, and was worried about me being with her from the Christmas day late evening. Then when i got the call and the man took me into the resus room and he said she had passed away 5 minutes before i got there. She to had been poorly for a few years, even now it hurts so much, it does feel like a big black cloud of hopelessness, but you are not alone. The grief will hit you in waves, you may feel upset, anger all of it. I feel guilt. Thats the worse one. But by you being here and reaching out to others is a big step. Please know that you are not alone.xx

2 Likes

@Crimson sorry for your loss, my mum died 4 weeks ago and I saw her night before, didn’t make it to hospital that day… Don’t feel bad about it. Some therapists say that some people find it easier to pass alone so that’s what I’m thinking. That my mum knew it would be too hard for me to see her go. Wishing you lots of strength and sending warm wishes xx

1 Like