Loss of cat following husband's death

I wrote a couple of weeks ago about the probable death of my cat following that of my husband. I am glad to say that she not only survived but remains in very good health, fingers crossed. This was such a relief and I want to thank everyone who wrote comforting words at the time, though I am still struggling with my husband’s sad and painful end of life.

4 Likes

Hello Casimira. How wonderful your cat is in good health. I am so pleased for you. Pets really are an incredible comfort. Do you have a photo of her you would like to share with us. It would be lovely to see her. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Hi. Casimira. Some good news at last. I am pleased for you that your cat is now well. Pets can have such a profound effect on our lives.
But the pain of losing your husband will go on for some time. None of us can ever forget but the pain does ease a little given time.
Very best wishes. John.

Hi,
How we love our pets! I am so glad you still have your cat. Six days after my husband died I had to make a decision about our elderly tabby. Everyone encouraged me to get another cat and ten weeks ago I adopted Chilli. She is six and she is deaf so she has to be an indoor cat. She has proved to be a most loving companion. She is gentle and never gets her claws out or gives me a nip. My beloved husband would have loved her. We always had a cat and our first came home from our honeymoon. I’ll try and post a photo.

4 Likes

Hi Jan, I am so sorry for the loss of your husband. I am glad you have adopted another cat, she is lovely. How old is your elderly cat? Are these two getting on?

Like you I love cats, but sadly haven’t been able to have one for a few years now as I live in a houseshare. My dad also loved cats, and had one in Pakistan when he was a child. For the past few years I used to go almost daily with treats in my pocket on my run/walk, and feed the neighbourhood cats who would be sitting outside whilst their owners were at work. It used to be fun, as you get to know them and all their different personalities. I used to take photos and send them to my parents and tell my dad about which cat I saw today - some were strays, and relied on people feeding them to survive. Since he died 5 months ago, I haven’t been once, as I will find it too painful as I will keep thinking of him, but I do wonder how those cats are doing, even the stray ones are well looked after so they won’t be going hungry, but it just used to be nice to see them and tell my dad about them.

1 Like

Hi,
I’m afraid the decision was a sad one. Amaryllis was a week off nineteen and had stopped eating. She was very weak and the vet did not think she would last. She had been diagnosed with a thickening of the bladder wall two years previously so we were lucky she had lived so long. I was without a cat for three months but everyone encouraged me to get another. I was lucky to adopt Chilli. She is demanding but I don’t mind. She is company and often curls up beside me. She follows me around. I can think she is sound asleep but I will suddenly find her looking at me in the kitchen or behind me as I go up the stairs.

Sorry to hear Amaryllis crossed The Rainbow Bridge, even if she did live to a good age. Am glad to hear that Chilli has settled in well. Take care.

That is one gorgeous cat! No wonder you are so proud of her!

Thank you! She has proved to be such good company. She is noisy as she can’t hear herself but she must feel vibrations as she knows when I’ve gone into the kitchen. It was a good decision to take her on. She has to make up for the lack of human touch.