Loss of Cat

I really don’t know if I am being stupid, my husband died 3 years ago and I thought I was healing a bit, although I still get triggered a lot. I decided that to help me I would re-home a cat as I have had cats in the past and have always loved them. My cat Apollo and I had such a strong bond from the moment we met, we were absolutely besotted with each other. He would always want to be near me and he made me laugh again with his silly antics. I only had him two months and he was killed by a car. I am absolutely devastated, all my grief has come back and more. For the first week I couldn’t even get out of bed. My friends just do not understand, they keep saying it was only a cat. I think I made the mistake of pouring all my love onto Apollo to try and fill the gaping hole left by losing by husband. I am now left wondering if I will ever heal and be happy again.

3 Likes

This is so sad, I’m so sorry. Honestly, after the sudden and unexpected loss of my dad at the end of last year, I dread the inevitable (which is hopefully well over a decade away) happening to my cat.

You’re not being stupid at all :yellow_heart:.

1 Like

@Misty2012 dear misty i am so very sorry for your losses. They aren’t just pets. They are our babies. I lost my partner almost 3 and a half years ago. I still struggle with her loss. I lost my dog cara last Wednesday she was 15 years and 8 months old . We had her from a puppy. I feel so alone and heartbroken and lost. I don’t think we realise just how much our babies help us. Cara was always by my side. It dosent matter how long you had apollo you loved them and they loved you. We have a bond with our babies. Just take one day at a time and let yourself grieve. Not everyone can understand how close we are to our pets . sending hugs x

2 Likes

Dear Misty, I am so sorry for the loss of your cat and husband, since I lost my husband last year and it was my 2 cats that kept me going. I have recently taken on a rescue cat and she is giving me so much comfort. I know you can’t replace your cat but please do think about taking on another when you feel up to it. I volunteer at a rescue centre and there are so many cats desperate for a home xx

4 Likes