Loss of daughter

My daughter passed away 8 weeks ago after fighting for 32 years at the age of 2 medical negligence left her severely disabled blind epileptic gastrostomy and tracheostomy all I’ve done for 32 years is care for her 24/7 and now she’s gone I’m so lost empty feel like screaming out from the pit of my stomach DWP don’t want to know no bereavement payments nothing coz she was my daughter not partner
I’ve been a single parent most of my life got a 31 year old son with schizophrenia and a 27 year old daughter who is getting married in September
I’m 52 feel like 72 my back is knackered suffer panic attacks and anxiety and all I’m told is to look for a job or sign on

1 Like

Hello @Tjh ,

I can see that you’re new to the community. I hope you find it to be a support to you, but I am so sorry for the loss of your daughter that brings you here.

You say you are feeling empty, lost and anxious. I wanted to share some sources of support that might help you right now.

• Child Bereavement UK support families with the loss of a child. They also support bereaved children. You can call their helpline on 0800 02 888 40.

• The Compassionate Friends support families who have lost a child of any age. You can call them on 0345 123 2304

Sue Ryder also has some resources which can help you cope with grief.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.
Take care,

Alex

I too lost my daughter 2 years ago. She had schizophrenia like your son. I really feel for you as l understand the impact of looking after a mentally ill person can have. On top of that you have managed for so many years to support your daughter, while on your own.
What a wonderful human being you are.
My son does not talk to me as he said l neglected him to care for his sister. We are only human and as mothers do the best we can.
You will get through this try to enjoy the fact that your other daughter is getting married and try to step back and reconsider life. You are not old. Investigate what is available at your local community centre for you to get involved with.
I send you all my love and prayers. Jackie.x