Loss of family

I lost my dad to cancer in 2000 which was contributed by drinking and smoking. He was alcohol dependent for a lot of years and as a result we watched him being violent towards our mum from as young as we can remember. Then in 2013 i lost my sister as a result of her being an alcholic,her death was sudden as we didn’t realise she was as poorly as she was,at the time i was caring for my mum who was terminally ill with lung cancer so it was a massive shock when we lost Alison. But only 10 weeks later and my mum passed away,it was a very difficult time as i was grieving for both my sister and mum and having to be ok as i had 2 young kids to look after but at the same time my husband was my rock. Then recently this year 7th August i lost my younger brother to alcohol,sepsis and hodgkins lymphoma,this too was a shock as we didn’t know he was so ill as i had not seen him for 13 years. Now there is only me and my older brother here,he too is an alcholic and takes drugs occasionally and is living in accommodation for the homeless. Never will i let alcohol take over my life like it has with most of my family. Alcohol is the root of all evil…so my mum use to say :pray:

3 Likes

Hello @Julie22,

I’m part of the Online Community team and I can see that you are new to the community - I’d like to thank you for bravely starting this thread and sharing how you are feeling. I’m so sorry to hear about your losses. Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and so will understand some of what you are going through.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that might be helpful.

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care,

Alex

1 Like