Loss of husband

Hi

I’ve just lost my husband, its been 2.5 weeks and people are already asking when I am going back to work. I can’t imagine going back. How long did people stay off work and how did you cope when you went back?

Hello Jilly. I’m so so sorry for your loss. I went back to work after a month. Not because I wanted to but I thought if I left it any longer I would have found it more difficult. I can’t say it was easy seeing everyone for the first time but I feel it was the right thing to do for me. Take no notice of what others say, you do what you feel is right for you. Personally, I think 2 weeks is not long enough. I bet you’ve only just got through the funeral. Take your time, your loss is massive.
Work has been my saviour though, the distraction it brings is welcome. It’s been just a little more than 16 months now since I lost my husband and I can remember vividly those first few weeks. My heart goes out to you Jilly. Take care and big hugs. Xx

When my son died I was asked to return after four weeks, at the time I found it very hard, however I lost my husband a few months ago and now that I am retired I find I have no structure to my life making it just as difficult if not harder.
It’s going to be hard either way. I’m very sorry to hear that your husband has died, please accept my sincere condolences.

Thank you. I have a certificate until 16 November and will see how i feel then.

At the moment i feel completely numb and am having trouble sleeping and concentrating.

I had been with my husband since i was 15 and our kids have grown up and we should be enjoying our life but instead i am alone.

I think waiting until your certificate runs out is sensible Jilly. Of course you’re numb. My husband had just retired when he died very suddenly. We had so many plans. I thought we would grow old together. The future which should have been ours has been cruelly snatched away. You’ve come to the right place Jilly, all of us on this forum know and understand how you’re feeling. You are not alone. Keep chatting. Sending love x