Loss of my dad through suicide

Hi,

In July my mum had an accident that left her in a coma for 6 weeks and has left her severely disabled.

My dad took on the majority of the care because he was a proud man and essentially pushed the carers away believing he could cope with it himself. In November 2022 he went for a walk because it was a sunny day and decided to take his own life.

I have found it extremely difficult since, turning to drink and generally not caring for myself. I am hoping that somebody on here has has a similar experience and can share some tips on how to cope with his passing.

Im finding it difficult to cope with the vast array of emotions that has come with his passing. I’m angry that he would leave my mum, they had been together since school and had future trips away planned but also want to grieve because we were close. I’m also upset at myself for not seeing any warning signs that he needed help with what he was going through and that he was in the place that he was in.

Thank you for any suggestions on how to move forward.

Jack

2 Likes

Hello Jack.L,

I’m part of the Online Community team and I can see that you are new to the community - I’d like to thank you for bravely starting this thread and sharing how you are feeling at the moment. I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and so will understand some of what you are going through.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that might be helpful.

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care,

Alex