Loss of my mum

Hi i lost my mum in January 2023 after very short cancer diagnosis 3 weeks to be exact!
The loss is unimaginable as i have always lived with her, im in my late forties and she was my best friend as well as my mum.
Im taking it day by day, everyday is different dealing with the different feelings i have.
My biggest upset is knowing I’ll never see her again.

2 Likes

My heart goes out to you Sarathompson as I lost my mom a couple of weeks ago. Like you, I had always lived with her (over 90 years) and although we knew it was coming, now she has gone the sense of loss is overwhelming. I tell myself that she is no longer in pain but the void she has left is very hard to deal with. There are so many reminders around the house that spark memories of her, both recent and distant, that it’s difficult to hold back the tears. It’s like losing your best friend, even though we didn’t always get on. Like you, knowing I will never see her again is the hardest thing to come to terms with but TBH she had no quality of life so in a way it was a release for her because I know she didn’t really want to carry on. What probably makes it worse is that I’m retired so I have no job to distract me and I don’t go out much so it’s all too easy to brood on my loss. I guess I should try to get out more and develop new relationships…

Hi, I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my mum 3 weeks ago, I also lived with her, she moved in when I was diagnosed with aggressive cancer and never went home. I am in my early 50’s and she was also my best friend. I feel like I am under the darkest, loneliest, heaviest blanket and the grief is overwhelming.

I’m in your exact position. It is so tough

1 Like