Loss of my Nan

It’s been a challenging 9 months! As I write this I cannot believe it has been this long already since my Nan sadly passed in October 2022, at the incredible age of 80. I’m still reliving and struggling to deal with my trauma of when I found her. It was the most gut-wrenching and soul-destroying moment of my life.

She was my World, the ‘Mum’ like figure who has always been by my side and supported me every step of the way. She was always there to lend a hand when times got tough, provide guidance and steer me onto the right path.

She was an incredible woman who was career driven, caring, inspirational and above all the brilliant Nan you could ever wish for. Although at times she was tough, she was always fair. Having lived with her for over 7 years, our bond grew, I became her carer taking her on trips to the supermarkets, mini trips to Lakeside, trips to London (where she grew up) and a multitude of restaurants over the years. She was very accepting of my being LGBTQ+, and I was so privileged that I was able to share with her that I got engaged to my long-term partner of 9 years before her passing. I was so excited for her to come to the wedding, but this will never happen.

Even after 9 months, I’m lost, heartbroken and still finding my feet in dealing with daily life. We shared an incredible bond that will never be broken and I know that she will always be with me. I miss her dearly, especially her cups of tea. She always made the best tea!

She will forever be in my heart. :heart:
X

3 Likes

Hi Apg. Grief is so personal , it ambushes us when we least expect or want it - it sounds like your Nan was a lovely woman and you’ll no doubt have lots of memories to look back on and lots of sadness to deal with too. Even though she won’t be with you at your wedding perhaps you could include something in the service such as a favourite poem of hers? You’ll find some good support on these forums and I wish you all the best for the future.

Hi @JustSomeBloke
Thank you for your kind words, my nan was a strong, independent woman. I’m currently planning to have a little ‘memoir’ table with pictures of my nan and my partner’s grandparents who are sadly no longer with us - a away to showcase our shining stars.

I just need to take it one day at a time and remember that healing takes time. Thank you again for your support.

1 Like

That sounds like a lovely idea.