Loss of parents

In 2019, my family and I went for a birthday meal on the 8th of May, it was when my parents went back earlier than us that my mum slipped and fractured her hip, she was in the hospital for 3 days before she died, I still don’t feel like I’ve grieved her loss, I had to be strong for my family as they all broke down, it destroyed my stepdad and I saw him falling slowly, then he went into hospital last year for Pneumonia, which turned out to be lung cancer, I got a phone call on the 28th of December telling me as such, on the 31st a second phone call to tell me he had passed away suddenly, I was completely unprepared for this and felt like I’m just coasting through life. I have both of their ashes side by side in my house because they always wanted to be together. It’s difficult sometimes as looking at those urns just reminds me of what I can never have again, I have suffered years of depression due to this, I doubt it will ever go away.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry for the loss of your parents, @Mike47. You are not alone. Sadly, many of our members have lost their parents and will understand some of what you’re going through.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I just wanted you to know you have been heard.

Hi Mike.
I am so sorry to hear of your sad losses of your parents. I know exactly what you are going through as i lost both my parents within 17 months of each other, plus i lost my brother in law inbetween too.
You say you suffer depression? I too suffer with it & maybe if you are on medication that could be helping to keep tears at bay, but you will still be suffering in other ways. It is so hard to think that we wont see them again, & people say you will get over your grief & you should move on, but grief can & will take as long as the length of a piece of string, as it is not something that has a timeframe, and is not the same for everyone. My sisters have moved forward but they all work, have families, grandkids etc whereas i dont, only my husband. I have friends on facebook & my best friend in the world, who is sadly living with terminal lung cancer, so time with her is VERY precious.
You getting through each day shows your strength. Dont feel because you dont cry you havent grieved, my Mum didnt cry when she lost her Mum & Brother within 6 weeks of each other, but she did grieve.
Sending you biggest hugs & remember, you are not alone xx