Loss of son 10 yes ago

He has been gone for a decade now and it still feels like yesterday. He was 18 and in a car accident on his way to work. He was knocked out and never opened his eyes again. We were in the hospital for hours that day. His birthday is next week and my other children have bought houses had family etc but I can’t get past that he will never have these milestones. Through other issues I am now estranged from my other children. I kicked my husband out 4yrs ago due to abuse and i just feel utterly alone all the time. Shielding during covid-19 hasn’t helped my mental state. I have 3 friends but they can’t understand why i still feel this way after all this time. My experience is that life happens around grief but that awful loss is never ending. I am facing the loss of my house where i raised my family and can’t face the thought of not being here with all those memories. I put on a mask every day that i am ok but i really am not and each birthday, anniversary etc is getting harder

2 Likes

Dear @Pauline22

Welcome to the Community, I am sorry to hear of the sudden loss of your son suddenly 10 years ago, Grief has no time limits and for some people like yourself, it can go on for years.

Have your considered talking to your doctor for support, counselling and letting them know how you feel and that you are not coping? Sue Ryder offer a free online Online Bereavement Counselling Service which would be worth you looking at and may be of support to you. That is quite normal.

There is a Grief Guide that contains useful information and helps you understand and cope with your bereavement and grief. If this helps, you can also create a Memory Box which is a new self help tool within the Grief Guide. This may be of comfort to you and it is private to you.

You are not alone, if you type the topic in the search bar you can connect with the members here who have experienced and been in a similar situation to yourself. The support here is incredible.

Please continue to reach out, if you need further information please email online.community@suerydercare.org.

Take care.

Pepsi

Thank you Pepsi. I am just beginning to process my own experience after having focused on my other children. I really like this service where I can just read others stories, dip in and out as i feel able to cope. Love the self help tools.

You are welcome. It is good to hear that this forum is of help to you. Please continue to reach out any time and take care.

Pepsi

Hi Pepsi

Thank u very much for ur advice. I have discussed with my GP and have medication. I find the grief journal very helpful. Sometimes it doesn’t makes sense sometimes it’s like having a conversation with my son. Thank u x

1 Like

SO SAD TO HEAR YOUR STORY . HOW CAN I SAY BE BRAVE BE STRONG WHEN I FEEL MY GRIEF IS STILL SO RAW . GOD BLESS YOU X

Hi Marilyn3

We r all on this journey. It doesn’t matter where u r in ur experience. We r all here to share our stories and hopefully find some comfort in our shared grief. There is no judgement. Feel free to share only if and when u r ready.