Loss of wife June this year

Im not sure how to start this,Buy my Wife Carol Died on 30th June 2024,We were together 30 years +,Carol was in a care home Feb 23,due to alzheimers,i visited as much as i could,So its double the loss so i have read,Im retired so had plenty of time to be able to visit,which i did for Carol & Myself.
Im looking at a few things ,as now its a big empty void,this is why i joined here today.
Im Martin.69 ,Wher do you start?

4 Likes

Welcome to our club. Nobody wants to be qualified to join, but you will get plenty of support and understanding here.
I haven’t got any magic potion for grief. Only that you start by putting one foot in front of the other. Be kind to yourself. All the usual advice, get through an hour at a time as best you can.
Any form of dementia is cruel. My sister is seriously affected and doesn’t recognise me now.
Hugs. Xx

2 Likes

Hello Willow, I tend to take each day as it is, don’t plan anything just do whatever really,yes Alzheimer’s and Dementia are extremely cruel,Carol never forgot who I was, which I suppose is a relief, I have read that happening, Yes joining this today was a step just a small one, Carol had a friend in the care home Linda they were always together, which I was happy about for them both, I am still going to visit Linda and Jane her daughter we were always a group in a way, and I feel really at ease at the care home, people who I know the staff who were very fond of Carol,it is a bit of help in a way and I’m sure Carol would agree, I have asked her, I believe she is here somewhere maybe

1 Like

Brewie how nice of you to think of visiting Carole’s friend. Could you perhaps volunteer to help out with trips or any events the home put on for the people there. I’m sure an extra pair of hands will be helpful.
Finding something to do to fill the hours is really difficult but we have to if we’re going to try and keep going.
You will find many here who feel as you do

1 Like

Hello Woolly,I think Carol would have liked me to do this, whenever I went to see Carol it was always Carol and Linda and she’s lovely and missing Carol, she’s happy when I go gave her a big hug only last evening and her daughter Jane is very nice we are keeping in touch, she was at Carols service last Friday, we really were a group together, I have thought about doing as you suggested,It would depend on firstly care home manager and various regulations I imagine, And the other thing that comes to mind is if I can do this, It’s something to think about I know for the time being I am going to visit Linda Carols friend and just see how things go,