Lost a child and a husband.

I lost my daughter two and a half years ago and my husband sixteen months ago. I now liive alone. The grief comes and goes, but the loneliness is worse than that. I will never get used to living on my own and I feel that I am pointless now. My daughter had learning disabilities and my husband had Parkinson’s, so I was a carer for over forty years. I feel I have no purpose in life and I don’t really want to live my life like this, but I don’t know what to do about it. I don’t really want to go on. My family all have partners, but I am the odd one out.

2 Likes

Hello @georgiegirl,

I’m so sorry to hear about your daughter and your husband. It sounds as though things are very difficult at the moment and you are feeling lonely.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share these links with you to help you with your grief.

You might already be familiar with our other Online Bereavement Support services, but if not, you can find out more about our Online Counselling service, our Grief Coach text support service, and our Grief Guide self-help tools by visiting the link.

Another good place to get support is The Compassionate Friends, supports families who have lost a child of any age. You can call them on 0345 123 2304.

Take care - keep reaching out,

Alex

I am so sorry for you, we parents of disabled children do have to go on . My son who had moderate learning disability, right side hemplegic ,and epilepsy. Died of secondary bone cancer. My daughter who does not live with us ,has severe cerebral palsy and learning disability . My son died last July ,all within 3months , we are trying to carry on for her but life is hard. I think us parents of disabled children have spent so much time looking after others it is had to just look after our self’s. I have found people including some family members think we get all the help,we don’t it is a fight for every thing.
But please look after yourself,as your husband and beautiful daughter are looking down on you. Love to you​:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Thankyou for your kind words. Yes, it is a struggle and a continuous fight when you have a disabled child. I am sorry for the loss you have suffered.
My life seems pointless now that I don’t have anyone to care for. I do have a baby grand daughter,who is a light in my life , but it makes me sad to know that she will never know her grand dad or her auntie. They would have adored her.

1 Like

But she will have photos of them , and try to make a note book telling her all about them ,I am sure she would like that. I think that will be one of the best presents you can give her :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart: