Lost a family member

Hi everyone
I lost my cousin today. She was more like a sister to me. She has had so many health issues and has always bounced back but this time she couldnt. Her husband had to agree to ending her treatment. She has been my best friend and its been a privilege knowing her. I have no idea how i can move forward. I know her husband is suffering terribly. I am going to ask if i can have compassionate leave from work because i just cannot face it. I just miss her so much and feel so anxious.

4 Likes

Hello @Helen125,

I can see that you’re new to the community, so I wanted to say that I am so sorry for the loss of your cousin that brings you here.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that may help right now.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care,

Alex

Hi Helen,

Sorry to hear that.

On a practical note, compassionate leave can be short for some people (only 2 days where I work) so it might be better to self-certify for up to 7 days (and request a GP fit note for any additional time off).

Hi Helen, I’m so sorry for your sad loss :pensive: I just wanted to reassure you with time you will feel less anxious and be able to look forward to life again with her memory along side. You are on lifes most horrendous and lonely journey and theres no right or wrong way to feel.

Find little things that you can focus on daily that distract you as your mind needs grief breaks now and again.

I took a month off work when my dad died and lots of folk take more. Give yourselves as much time as you need.

We’re all here for you if you need to chat xxx

1 Like