Lost both my grandparents

I lost my Grandad to a brain tumour and watched him slowly die in a hospital of pneumonia the day he died we told my nan he had died and the day after she passed away of a broken heart- I thought the funeral would bring me closure however a few weeks afterwards now I am still feeling like it’s not real they have gone and feeling very alone and depressed

Hi Chloemariet,

I’m so sorry to hear that you lost both your Grandad and Nan within a day of each other. Losing a loved one is so painful so losing both so close together much be so difficult for you. It’s no wonder you’re struggling at the moment and feeling alone and depressed. Significant loss takes time for us to process and the grief we feel can be so tough to deal with and last for a long time.

You are not alone. There are wonderful supportive people on the forum who will understand what you’re going through right now.

Try not to pressure yourself to ‘get back to normal’. Allow yourself to feel any emotions that you experience. Have you anyone close to you that you can talk to?

Keep talking to us & take care. Trudy x

Hi Chloemariet,

I’m so very sorry to hear that you lost your Grandad and Nan so close together. For some people the funeral does bring closure, but for many others it can take time to come to terms with losing loved ones. It’s completely understandable - and normal - that you’re having a tough time feeling alone and depressed.

It’s good that you’ve found this community. There are some amazingly supportive people here who will hopefully bring you some comfort and help you feel less alone.

Are you getting any support from your family or perhaps your GP? Depression can be a normal reaction to loss, but it’s important to talk to someone about how you’re feeling. We have a free counselling service on this site, or I can suggest other organisations you could have a look at if accessing that kind of support would be helpful for you.

Take good care of yourself and let me know if there’s anything I can do to support you.

With best wishes,
Eleanor