Lost Mum & Dad within a few days of each other

My Dad was diagnosed with a brain tumour in November and due to some existing health issues, he wasn’t able to have treatment for it and died on 15th January.

My Mum was diagnosed with Stage 4 ovarian cancer in May 2019 and underwent several rounds of chemo and a full hysterectomy and it seemed that the cancer was gone. However in May 2020, she was told she had cancer of the Peritoneum and that it could not be cured, only contained. She underwent chemo again which proved unsuccessful and on 15th January (the day my dad died) she was taken into a local hospice. The care she received there was amazing and they made her as comfortable as they possibly could but on 26th January she lost her fight.

The grief is like nothing I’ve experienced before and I am finding the fatigue overwhelming, the body aches are also pretty awful. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same and how you dealt with it?

Hi Emma
I am so sorry for your loss. My husband died in November and I am exhausted. My teeth hurt, my joints hurt and the headaches are awful. Some days are worse than others and nowhere near as bad as they were just before Christmas so hang on in there. I have only recently found this site and am also hoping to get sone reassurance. We are all in the same boat. Take care lovely xx

Hi Sue

Thank you so much for replying, I am sorry for your loss too. Sue was my Mum’s name.

I have been suffering with toothache too and headaches but the tiredness is on another level - as soon as I stop I fall asleep except for at night, when I should be sleeping!! I’ll sleep for a couple of hours and then I’ll be awake on and off for the rest of the night.

I know it’s early days and thank you for reassurance that things will get better.

Take care, Emma

Emma
You are doing fine, I’m having a down few days at the moment but even in this short time I know it will pass. I do need to stop grazing like a heifer though :wink:
Chin up lovely, we are all in this together and here xx

Hi Emma, I had a double bereavement at Christmas. My mum and my grandmother a day apart. I have had the same experience, the fatigue, body aces and also headaches daily since Christmas day. Every task is a mountain to climb. Get as much rest as possible x

Hi Emma
I’m in a similar situation having lost my dad to a terminal illness in early December after 2 months of caring for him. Six weeks later my mother suffered a cardiac arrest and after staying in ICU, but not regaining consciousness, died after a week.

I’m in a complete state of denial although we buried my mother this week and now am suffering from complete body ache. I’m so exhausted, if I do one thing I have to lie down afterwards. I have a family so this is really tricky, esp when everyone is home all the time. I feel it’s impossible to find space and time to grieve.

I’m really worried about going back to work while I’m like this.

I lost both parents suddenly 5 weeks apart ,2 years ago,and I think initially I was on auto pilot ,I cried but tried to keep up the pretence of normality ,a year later I had a mini breakdown and finally let go of the grief ,I used all I could to get me through and finally saw my doctor who was a wonderful support ,talking to a bereavement counsellor helped loads …just grab all the help out there ,it does get better and slowly the better days outweigh the sad ones