Lost mum suddenly after Christmas

My mum became very ill with covid over Christmas, and she passed away in hospital in January, just under a week after her birthday. I live abroad so the last time I saw her in person was for her birthday in 2020, when I visited just before the pandemic. We were in touch on the phone all year but it is not the same.

My uncle was taken into the same hospital with covid a week after mum, and he was in the bed next to her about to be ventilated while I was saying goodbye to my mum, which was almost unbelievable. My aunt went into hospital a few days later (also covid), and she has recovered now.

I understand that I was lucky to be able to see my mum, even though she was completely sedated and wasnā€™t aware of me being there. But it has been a huge shock and I feel like all my emotions have gone missing. I lost my dad when I was a teenager and I have just turned 30 last September. I was screaming and crying when she was in hospital, and now I just feel so empty and lonely and like everything is pointless.

1 Like

Iā€™m so sorry to hear about the loss of your Mum, the pandemic is ripping families apart, what you are feeling is absolutely normal, I do hope you have family and friends supporting you, you are so young to have lost both your parents, I lost my Mum when I was 40 and I railed against the world for a long time, I was so jealous when I saw other people out with their Mums obviously older than mine was when she died, I think itā€™s also true you donā€™t realise how important your Mum is until she has gone, you will get through this eventually, take a day at a time and be kind to yourself, sending love Jude x

3 Likes

Sorry for your loss. Hope your uncle is ok. Glad to hear your aunt recovered. Iv lost my dad too and itā€™s very hard and a only people who is going through the same situation can empathise with you. I donā€™t think life will get any easier. Itā€™s just like getting up daily and starting all over again. Sending you love and prayers. :broken_heart::cry::pray:

2 Likes

@Jude28 sorry for your loss. Iv lost my dad to COVID I thought itā€™s only me feeling jealous
Itā€™s probably part of the grieving process. Itā€™s a struggle getting up and getting through the day.
Sending you love and prayers.:broken_heart::pray::cry:

2 Likes

I am sorry to read about your losses (whilst desperately trying to find other people who are going through this) yet I take no comfort in your pain. Iā€™m deeply sad for you.

My mum died of covid on New Yearā€™s Eve. She was 64 and was at home. Both my parents contracted it and we were worried about my dad as my mum seemed to be well, little did we know her oxygen levels were slowly and silently reducing, when my dad recovered we were just waiting for my mum to catch up. We talked lots during her illness and I have taken comfort in knowing she didnā€™t know how ill she was, our last chat was planning future holidays and then she died peacefully with my dad at her side when she went to sleep. When I got that phone call I expected to be told sheā€™s going into hospital not that she had died. I replay it over all the time and canā€™t make sense of any of it.

I just canā€™t believe any of this is real. Itā€™s so unfair. She was full of life and it was so sudden. Iā€™m so sad that we no longer have her, my dads life has completely changed and everything she will miss out on that we should share together.

Itā€™s so hard when everyone around you is talking about getting back to ā€˜normalā€™.

2 Likes

@Fideeks so sorry for you loss. Thereā€™s so many of of us going through the same at the moment. Iv lost my dad to COVID in jan he was only 65 and itā€™s very hard, sending you all love hugs and prayers.
:broken_heart::broken_heart::cry:

2 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry that you are going through this. It must have been such a huge shock. I empathise with the replaying of everything over all the time, youā€™re right - it just doesnā€™t make sense does it?

My mum also loved life, and was excited to move house soon after Christmas. Iā€™m finding myself feeling sad on her behalf, if that makes sense? I feel guilty for still being alive and she isnā€™t. Itā€™s not fair.

At the moment I feel that things will never be ā€œnormalā€ for us in the same way that they will be for those who come through the pandemic without losing a loved one. We will support each other and move forward as best we can, but I have no idea what ā€œnormalā€ will look like, I just know that mum is missing from it. :cry:

1 Like

There is definitely some comfort in knowing we are not alone (when most peopleā€™s focus is when can I get to the pub). So sorry for your loss, itā€™s no age is it.

All the life they will miss out on, itā€™s so unbearably sad isnā€™t it.