Lost my brother šŸ„²

My younger brother passed away suddenly 4 weeks ago, he was only 50. Heā€™d never married so I was the only family he had. I never thought Iā€™d have to arrange his funeral or decide what clothes heā€™d to wear in his coffin.
Please tell me it gets easier?
Iā€™ve lost my parents in the past but Iā€™m finding this so much harder to process.
The thought of Christmas is filling me with dread as he always came to me on Christmas Eve and stayed till Boxing Day.

Hello @Chi253,

Iā€™m part of the Online Community team and I can see that you are new to the community - Iā€™d like to thank you for bravely starting this thread and sharing how you are feeling. Iā€™m so sorry to hear about your younger brother. Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and so will understand some of what you are going through.

Iā€™m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that might be helpful.

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.

Thank you again for sharing ā€“ please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care,

Alex

1 Like

I am so sorry for your loss Chi253. I also lost a younger sibling (Sister) and and both parents, and I know how difficult and painful this can be. The loss of my younger Sister is the hardest Iā€™ve ever had to deal with thus I understand when you say it is much harder to process. Christmas is surely compounding your grief. Your loss is so recent, and I am wondering if you are getting support from friends or family. The folks on this site are the kindest you will ever know, so you came to the right place. As to your question ā€œdoes it get easier?,ā€ for me it comes in waves, sometimes when I an distracted I think I am ok, until something triggers my loss and I am in bits again. Christmas songs and adverts have me in tears, because like you and your brother we always spent this time together. Sorry I can not be more positive, however grief is so personal, we all react differently. I hope you will post again, you do not have to go through this alone. Take care, Another Sad Sister

1 Like

Thank you .

When I posted the other day

Thank you .

I posted in the early hours of the morningā€¦Iā€™m not sleeping much just now. Daytime hours are easier as Iā€™m busy at work.

My husband doesnā€™t really understand what Iā€™m feelingā€¦he only has 1 sibling and they havenā€™t spoken for 20 years. He was close with my brother but thinks 4 weeks is enough time to be sad!

My grown up children live far away and although they visited for the funeral theyā€™ve obviously had to go back home for work etc.

I keep telling my friends Iā€™m fine, I donā€™t want to make them miserable too especially as itā€™s so close to Christmas.

Iā€™m hoping once I can get through Christmas that things may feel a bit better. Iā€™ve only visited his home once to get clothes for him to wear at his funeral but will need to go back at some point to sort through his belongings before selling his house. Lots still to do!