Lost my dad 15 Oct 22

My dad passed away in 15 Oct 22 of colorectal cancer. He first had thyroid cancer in 1981 then in the early 2000’s, he had 4 melanomas removed. In 2016 he was diagnosed with bowel cancer & had his op & all ok for a year, then in 2017 he was diagnosed with secondary liver cancer & had his op & was ok for a year. In 2018, the liver cancer returned, he had his op & was ok for another year.

In October 2019, he was diagnosed again with liver cancer but it had also spread to one of his lungs & in his stomach lining. He was told it was terminal & he would have chemotherapy for palliative care. In June 2022, it was obvious that the chemotherapy was no longer working & the decision was made to stop treatment.

From June to October 2022, he went downhill quickly & was admitted to hospital on 5 October 22 with suspected sepsis then moved to Sue Ryder on 9 October 22 where he died on 15th.

Our whole lives have been revolved around my dad & cancer since 2016 & now I feel guilty that I’m swanning around meeting friends or shopping in the day rather than taking dad to his appointments.

I’m looking after mum, she’s in great health but still grieving. I’m trying to keep an eye on my brothers, I don’t think they are doing great & I’m also worried about my daughter as she was super close to my dad. The problem is, we all say we’re fine but I’m picking up on small things said & I know everyone is doing worse than we all admit.

3 Likes

Hello @SarahK,

I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad. It sounds as though things are very different for you and all your family, following such a long journey since 2016.

I’m glad that you’ve been able to share how you are feeling here and I hope that you find the community a good source of support. Everyone here has experienced the loss of a loved one and will understand some of what you are going through.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few resources with you that may help you right now.

Take care - keep reaching out,

Alex

1 Like