Lost my dad unexpectedly

Hi, I have just come across this forum and I’m so grateful.
In March, 3 days after my 28th birthday, I lost my dad suddenly. He died of heart problems, my mum was in hospital and I don’t live at home so he was alone, with the dog. He was in the middle of just boring housework when he took a nap. The police did nothing when my mum called for a welfare check. I had to get my friend to break in. A close friend saw my dad’s body and now she’s traumatised because the police can’t do their jobs properly.
I have so much guilt - that I wasn’t there so he wasn’t alone, that I made my friend go in (because I didn’t think he was dead) and that I didn’t message or phone him that day just to say hi. He was my best friend and we were super close and now my life is just empty without him. I’ve got no siblings. I feel lost like no one understands. Just needed to vent I guess

Hello @Bethl23,

I can see that you’re new to the community, so I wanted to say that I am so sorry for the loss of your dad that brings you here. It sounds like it was such a shock to you. I’m think many of our members will identify with how you’re feeling. It’s really normal to feel guilty when someone close to us dies - you are not alone.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that may help right now.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care,

Seaneen