Lost my dad

Hi there,
This is the first time I am using the forum. In November last year we found out unexpectedly my dad had stage 4 lung cancer. He had no symptoms and seemed so fit and well. He tried so hard to stay with us but we lost him to the disease within one month so he passed away just 6 days before Christmas. I have a 5 year old son and the relationship they had was incredible. They were so close, as all the family are and my life feels so difficult without my dad in it. I know it’s all normal to grieve and feel so sad but I get so overwhelmed and worry if I will ever feel truly happy again with such a loss to face.
Best wishes to you all
Dawn

4 Likes

Hello @Dawn1974 ,

I’m part of the Online Community team and I can see that you are new to the community - I’d like to thank you for bravely starting this thread and sharing how you are feeling. I’m so sorry to hear about your dad. Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and so will understand some of what you are going through.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that might be helpful.

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care,

Alex

Hi Dawn,

So sorry to hear this. You mention that all of your family is close, so mutual support should go some way to helping you all :yellow_heart:.

Take care.

Thank you for your message.
Yes, I am so lucky to have a close family and my brother who feels exactly the same way as I do about losing dad.
Best wishes
Dawn

Thank you so much Alex

Hi Dawn, I’m so truly sorry to hear of your Dad’s passing :frowning: A story so similar to my own :broken_heart: My Dad retired on the 1st of January 2023, was completely unexpectedly diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in July, died 4 months later in November :frowning: it’s been horrendous. He had just bought himself a brand new car and caravan with his retirement money and he was so excited to finally have time to live his life. He was in agony for months, the chemo completely destroyed him. It’s extremely difficult to watch our fathers deteriorate so rapidly isn’t it :frowning:
My dad like yours, was so fit and healthy. He wasn’t a smoker and ran every day. He was excited to get back to his mountain climbing and walks. Me and my mum are completely lost without him. I’ve changed so much, my relationship with my fiancé has broken down and I am having to figure out who I am again. The thought of getting married without my dad there has completely put me of it and everything has just felt pointless. I’ve recently used my pain to push for a new exciting job that I thankfully got, and I am now focusing fully on that and taking care of mum. This isn’t the life I thought I’d be living at all, but here I am, even though it’s a struggle to except. My brothers 6 year old boy was his Grandads best friend in the whole world, super close, and it’s so heartbreaking when he talks about him, but I love that he remembers him so fondly. I hope he always will.

Just a message away if you ever want to chat xxx

1 Like

So sorry to hear of your loss. My dad died feb 24th of pancreatic cancer, it spread to his liver and lungs. We jad no idea he was ill. He went into hospital just feeling unwell after passing out at home, to then have tests done yo betold he had terminal cancer. It happened also quick and felt like a bad dream. He came home feb 14th where i cared for him in his final days, he died 10 days later. He was not only my dad but my best friend. I cant get over his death. Im feeling so sad and angry that this happened to him. He was 66. Life is so cruel. I do wonder what is the point in life when things like this happen. This should happen to all the bad people out there not the good. Im heartbroken. I know how u are feeling and im very sorry this has happened to you also.

2 Likes

So sorry @Kegleg it is completely unfair to lose them decades before their time. :yellow_heart:

1 Like