Lost my mum at Christmas.

How do people deal with the loneliness of grief?
I lost my mum through her addiction 8 weeks ago and immediately, friends have disappeared. They sent the initial obligatory text but never ask how I am, I never hear from them or they cut me off when I try and talk and ask for help. Two of these I considered real friends.
I have a dad who isn’t a father and had never been involved. Now my mum has gone, even though I distanced myself and thought I’d protected myself from this, I feel awful. I’ve got no “top cover” or parental protection now she’s gone. I’m 35, I haven’t needed it for a long time but now it’s gone, I feel petrified.
Now my friends also have vanished I feel like I’m grieving more more people than I should be. I feel so incredibly lonely and also bitter about them giving me more upset at this time and no support.
I literally have no idea how to get through this.

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your Mum, I think people are very frightened of speaking to somebody, who has lost a loved one, they don’t know what to say or how to react when you bring the subject up, so the easiest way is to stop any contact, because it’s easier for them, but that doesn’t help you, I found people would cross the road rather than having to speak to me, also unless you have been through it, you just don’t understand what it is like, it takes a long time to get used to the idea that she is no longer around, it will get easier, take a day at a time and be kind to yourself, sending love Jude x