Lost my mum in December 1995 when I was 10

I’m still not coping very well with the loss of my mum even after all this time. I get so low sometimes and feel unwanted unloved at times. I’ve spoken to people about it and they say they understand and there for me but they just don’t get how much it affects somebody when losing there mum to lung cancer at 10 specially 4 days before Christmas. I have thought about joining or creating a support group for people who have gone through similar experiences as me so people have somewhere to go and talk as I had nothing specially for kids.

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the Sue Ryder Online Community. I’m so sorry to hear that you lost your mum at such a young age. It sounds as though you didn’t get the right support at the time, and you are still carrying your loss with you.

I am glad that you have found this site and opened up about some of what you are feeling in your post. I hope it helps even a little bit to have this outlet.

There are many other people on this site who understand what it is like to lose a parent. For example, EmBeth_1994 lost her dad when she was a teenager. Her most recent post is here: https://support.sueryder.org/community/life-after-bereavement/almost-4-years

There is no timeline on grief, and it is not too late to get some support. You could contact your GP about some counselling, or get in touch with Cruse Bereavement 0808 808 1677 or helpline@cruse.org.uk