Lost my partner/mother of my 8 year old son a month ago.

Hi, im new here.

I lost the mother of my son a month ago, due to complications that led to pneumonia.
She was only 39. She lost custody of her two children in 2020, she has a 17 year old son from a previous relationship. Both boys were 5 (our son) and 14 (her other son) when social services removed them from her home and placed them with their dads, due to neglect and drinking/drugs. In 2022 we moved up to Scotland to be near family because she was not concordant with contact with our son. We spent 10 months there but moved back because i wanted my son to atleast be in the proximity of his mum so that he couldnt say he never knew her due to distance. In September of last year me and my sons mother rekindled our relationship and tried hard to make it work, we were a family and she spent every day of her last 6 months living with us. She didnt want to go back to her home because it held negative memories for her. She couldnt stop the drinking, and neither could i stop her drinking. He mother died a month before she died from COPD, she lost her brother in 2005 from an overdose, lost her child at 4 months from cot death in 2010, her boyfriend from an overdose in 2020 (shortly before both boys were removed) and her best friend last year from an overdose.
However, though she was drinking more heavily than usual after her mum died and was still smoking weed, and has done since she was 13, we were functioning. I was doing the school runs and sheā€™d sometimes make dinner.
I loved her, still love her, will always love her, she gave me our son.
About a month before my partner passed she tested positive for Covid and was anaemic. Anyway, in march this year, we all got a really bad chest infection, im talking really nasty. Our son got better but i was still very unwell and so was his mum. I took her to A&E on the Saturday, she was seen by the triage nurse and told to wait, the wait was 4 hours in a crowded room, same hospital her mum had just died in. She did not want to wait and discharged herself. This is after refusing an ambulance from 111 because she said she didnt want the paramedics smelling weed. I remember saying ā€˜it doesnt matterā€™ but she refused the ambulance, so we drove to a&e.
She was really unwell, and her skin was cold but this was on the sunday, i didnt think much oof it as im not medically trained and weā€™d been to the hospital the day before. I assumed that we all had a chest infection, our son got better, i was slightly improving, so i assumed sheā€™d improve. On the monday she rolled a joint, hugged our son before he went to school. She asked for one of my propanalols for anxiety on the monday, just 1 x 40mg, so i gave it to her. Sheā€™d always give me a diazepam when i was anxious. At about 2pm on the monday i went to sleep in our sons room for an hour, i said, ā€˜we are both ill, youre tired, im tired, weā€™re keeping each other awake, im going into our sons room to get an hour before the school runā€™. She said ā€˜dont leave meā€™ before that, but i didnt think she would die. I woke at 3:18 and needed to get our son, i called out to her, went into the room and she was sleeping, and looked peaceful, so i went to get our son. When we came back i checked and my world crashed, she didnt respond. I called 999 and my son witnessed me doing CPR on his mummy. When the paramedics came they asked ā€˜has she had anythingā€™ i said only one of my propanalols to my knowledge. Then the paramedics said she has passed and that theirs nothing more they can do. Then the police came and arrested for for suspicion of murder and administering a noxious substance. They split me from my grieving son for 3 days. In which time they conducted a post mortem and established that she died from Pneumonia. Two detectives came out to us and said that the coroner said she was a very sick woman. I was released with no further action and bail conditions (not seeing my son without supervision and reporting to a police station 3 times a day) all lifted immediately.
Now im with family and trying to recover. Ive seen the doctor, relocated and am trying to cope. But i cant, im a wreck, i cant be attentive to my son so my mum and dad are trying to help. Ive reached out for bereavement counselling and its on the way. I just feel like a failure, like ive let our son down, that i should have done more, should have seen the signs. Now our son doesnt have a mummy, which is all i ever wanted. My life feels devoid of purpose and most days are a haze and im not sure i can continue.
Thats whats happened.

2 Likes

Wow your partner had been thru a lot i her life, so very sad and Tragic, I lost my partner in December, he was only 42, I found he had passed in his sleep due to a heart condition he didnā€™t know he had, I have horrific guilt too although itā€™s easing off slightly as like you say, weā€™re not medically trained to look for signs and we just assume theyā€™re ok, easy for me to say but itā€™s not your fault!! You have to be strong for your son, he needs his dad more than ever now, you have a long journey ahead, itā€™s really tough Iā€™m not going to lie, the ups and downs, Iā€™ve had a terrible day today and I
Could punch someoneā€™s face in at how unfair life is but that wonā€™t achieve anything, you did your best to help her! my partner had morphine for his slipped disc in his back and I keep saying to myself I should
Of took it off
Him , but theyā€™re adults too, we canā€™t make
Them do things or not do things!! So sorry for your loss :disappointed:

1 Like

Thank you Ang5,

I keep re-reading your comment for support, so broken right now. Im so sorry for your loss too.

1 Like

One of the main parts of my grief is blaming myself, Iā€™ve found this a massive part for me, even though thereā€™s literally nothin we could do! I torture myself with what ifs and should of could of but the ā€œrealisticā€ me knows thereā€™s nothing I could of done to prevent or cure, he didnā€™t see any signs or felt any signs so how could I of known, same for
You, just assuming she would get better cos you and your son did from the chest infection, life is very cruel and fragile Iā€™ve found, but we done our best and we tried! You were looking after her very well by the sounds of it, wanting her to sleep, how were you meant to know, same as me, i keep saying why didnā€™t I get there sooner, but we were thinking of them, my mick used to suffer terrible migraines and
That day he hadnā€™t text me early on the
Morning like he always done, I thought maybe heā€™s got a migraine, I wil wait a bit longer, and all along he had gone, I torture myself over it but that would never of entered my head to think he had passed away cos he didnā€™t text by a certain time, but it was very out of character for him and thatā€™s why I went to his flat eventually, but even then, I didnā€™t think he had gone, :disappointed::disappointed::disappointed: your son is going to need you more than ever, just know that you tried your best and your best was good enough

2 Likes

@GrievingDad

Iā€™m truly sorry for your loss :heart:

Try not to blame yourself, how was you supposed to know?

Be strong for your son and look out for the signs she is around.

Take care x

1 Like

I just woke up and saw this message.

Strange, because i dreamt about her last night. I dreamt that she wasnt answering her phone and i couldnt get contact with her. Then i woke up and thought she was still here, alive. Then reality kicked inā€¦

But again, i saw this message straight after. Maybe sheā€™s entering my dreams or im just thinking about her A LOT. I just miss her so much, i cant believe sheā€™s gone. I cannot imagine my world without her somehow.

2 Likes

@GrievingDad

When my Andrew first passed away I was researching if he would ā€œgive me a signā€ that he is ok and how he would do this. Some people advise that they can connect to us through our dreams as when we are asleep we can connect to their energy better. She probably came to check in through your dreams. Maybe keep a journal of your dreams when you wake up because I donā€™t know about you but I forgot my dreams pretty quickly :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I cant get her last words out of my head, i feel so terrible. It wasnt a call for medical attention, or distress. But she probably wanted comfort because she felt unwell. I didnt know it would be her last night. I feel disgusting. Im not sure i want to carry on.

1 Like

Take it hour by hour or minute by minute.
Feel free to carry on posting here.

Sending big hugs xx

1 Like

I had a slightly better day today, now feeling bad about that. Whats to feel good about, my son has just lost his mummy.

1 Like

Questioning why you were able to have a slightly better day is all part of grieving and trying to get your head around emotions and reactions.
I think it is our minds trying to make sense of it all. and of course it doesnā€™t make any sense!
Itā€™s also probably shock.

Take care. Thinking of you and your son x

2 Likes

Thank you RoseGarden, youā€™ve been really supportive towards me at this time.

1 Like

@GrievingDad

Try not to feel bad about having better days, Iā€™m sure your partner is smiling down on you and giving you strength to have better days.

Yes your son has lost his mum but he still has his dad who loves him loads and will bring him up just how his mum would like you to.

Be strong and be kind to yourself :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Hi,

there are so many of us thinking of you, understanding what you are going through.

Rose x

1 Like