Lost my sister to suicide

On the 8th September I lost my sister to suicide. She struggled a lot since losing her finance to a brain tumour two years ago. I have been the one who identified her body, sorted her funeral, her home and I’m in the middle of waiting for the coroners inquest. My sister and I were so close. One minute I’m numb and it doesn’t feel real the next I’m crying and cannot stop. I need to talk with people who understand my pain. I feel like I’m going mad with all the emotions and thoughts.

Hello @Joanna85,

I’m part of the Online Community team and I can see that you are new to the community - I’d like to thank you for bravely starting this thread and sharing how you are feeling. I’m so sorry to hear about your sister. Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and so will understand some of what you are going through.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that might be helpful.

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care,

Alex

Sorry for your loss, I lost my son the same way in August. There are so many different emotions with this type of loss, the loss of your sister, the loss of her future and your future together. Talking on these boards help with people that have been through similar . TFC have some sibling resources - The Compassionate Friends | Siblings and SOBS have a sibling specific board. There are many that use all three support. Take care

Hi Joanna,

I have replied to your reply to my post. You sound like you’re reacting similarly to me. My brother did not commit suicide in the way many would say suicide is but his was an end caused by trauma, mental heath issues and addiction, a very slow suicide in my eyes, because he could not cope with the world he used alcohol to numb the pain which led to his untimely death.

He drank himself to death basically. Its an awful thing to cope with knowing they could not continue in life and knowing you were not enough to save them. I tried everything and I mean everything for 30 years and now im lost, numb, devastated, angry, sad and a shadow of myself. Feel free to chat, ita good to talk to someone who understands xx

1 Like