Lost

My husband died suddenly three years ago.My sister died of cancer a month ago and the grief just seems to go on and on.I am a pensioner and all my friends have passed away. Life is so lonely
Barney

Good morning, Barney.

Thanks for finding our online community and sharing a bit of your story. I’m so sorry to hear about what you’ve been going through. One of the things I often worry about when getting older is just what you’re going through. Naturally, as one gets older, people you know will die - it happens, and I think we all know that it will, but that doesn’t mean that it’s easy to accept or even prepare for.

The feeling of loneliness is something that often comes with bereavement - especially when you lose someone so close to you. Even if there are still friends and family around, it’s often not quite the same…

Do you do anything to get out of the house, Barney, and meet new people? The idea of being forced into situations like that often fills me with dread and feels like the last thing I’d ever want to do, but you never know - and it’s better to have tried something, perhaps?

Age UK have some helpful tips on getting out and being social that might be useful to read - nothing too strenuous or awkward from the looks of it:

Have a read: Age UK - Social Life.

It’s something to think about anyway, even if it doesn’t feel like the right sort of thing at the moment.

Do have a read of what other people have written on the community (you’ll find all the conversations here) as there might be something that helps you - and you can always ask others questions to get their advice and support too.

Do let us know how you get on and your thoughts on anything I’ve said here.

Thanks Barney.