Memories

I love to look back on the funny times we spent together, of which there were so many. The one that came into my mind today was when she had a stall in the local market selling jewellery that she used to make. It was cold in there so she would wear fingerless gloves. I said “I wonder what they do with all the fingers they cut off?” It took her nearly half an hour to say “you idiot, they knit them like that” I laughed so much, it is a brilliant memory. That was what we were like, always laughing over stupid things. I’d love to hear your funniest memories. John

6 Likes

I laughed at your memory, my mum always liked to get a bargain, I remember when she was pulling everything out & rummaging through a large bin at a car boot sale, she was only tiny and the next thing was she’d fallen into it and you could only see her feet sticking out :slightly_smiling_face: the other memory is when my husband & I were on a coach trip, when we were all getting off my husband couldn’t undo the seat belt clasp, the driver came over & was rocking the seat back & forth & then he said they’d have to unbolt the seat, take him out in the seat & take him to the workshop to get the seatbelt undone! Luckily one almighty pull & he was free, at the time I just couldn’t stop laughing :laughing: & now it makes me laugh when I recall it, it’s the memories that help us go on.

3 Likes

That’s funny. Oh, I so agree. We need to keep the funny stuff in our minds because (I think) it helps. We (me and my work colleagues) all went to the pub one lunchtime. A colleague (and friend of nearly 30 years now) went to the toilet and we all shifted down to the other end of the pub. She was totally lost when she came out and we laughed so much. It’s not all about the sad, we can have good things to remember. John

3 Likes

So very many funny memories with Richard as he had an amazing sense of humour.
One which my daughters like mentioning was that whenever A Shot In The Dark music came on, whether it was in the middle of a meal, as was often the case as we usually had music on, he would jump up from his chair and start to trot around the house with his hands held infront of him like paws, weaving in and out of places and we would mimic him following on behind.

Describing it doesn’t do it justice but was always fun.

2 Likes

Edit: just remembered it’s the theme to 633 Squadron!

And the Aeroplane music! Can’t remember the name of it, but he would make us lie on the floor with our ‘wings’ out and fly us round the room to a specific piece of music. (Hi, I’m Karen’s eldest!)

1 Like

That reminds me of my Dad calling body warmers ‘arm coolers’ and definitely referenced once or twice to the whereabouts of the arms!

1 Like

My daughter’s online name was her Dad’s nickname for her and our younger daughter was Tiger. He hardly ever used people’s real names. When looking for one of his best friends contact details on his phone I couldn’t find Kevin anywhere - then thought to look under ‘S’ for Sid, which had no connection whatsoever to his real name but just what she called him. Sure enough, I found him.

1 Like

@Johnch
Thank you for starting this.
I have such memories of lying in bed and Richard suddenly guffawing and shaking with laughter as he remembered something which had amused him or even planning a trick on someone.

@Flower_garden
The image of your Mum falling in had me chuckling out loud. :joy:

Thanks for your replies, I’m glad to know it’s not just me who can see the funny side of things however hard it can get. The week we went to Tenerife and I tripped over dropping the camera into a rock pool has never left me. So many more things cheer me up when I get down :rofl:

2 Likes

@KarenF there are so many funny memories I have of our life together, it helps to cope for me.

1 Like

We always laughed together and that was what made us the couple we were. x

1 Like

Yep it’s the laughing together that makes you soul mates , worth more than all the money in the world xxx I can’t write all our laughs and getting into trouble but wouldn’t change one of them xx

1 Like