Missing them

In the summer of 2019 I lost my dad, my parents were on holiday in Spain and as I watched the disappear into the airport a feeling of dread overwhelmed me and I said to myself “I have a bad feeling about this”. 4 days later my dad passed. In October 2021 my mother had developed a cough she couldn’t shift. Just after Christmas that year it was confirmed as Lung cancer. As the year drew to a close my mother was having issues with her hand then her leg. Our GP took one look at here and told us she needed to be admitted straight away. One CT scan later we were told the cancer had spread to her brain and was “non curable”. Countless pills and radiation therapy didn’t help and in June my mother passed away as I held her hand…I miss them both terribly especially this time of the year as their wedding anniversary is December 22nd then obviously Christmas…I have the rest of my family but they don’t like talking about what happened… To be honest I’m not sure what my point is writing this guess I just need someone to talk to.

4 Likes

Dear @Leeft1302

Welcome to the Community. I am sorry to hear of the loss of your parents.

It takes courage to reach out and talk and I am glad you have. There is a useful Grief Guide that has helpful information to help you understand and cope with your bereavement and grief.

Cruse Bereavement have a booklet on When Your Parent Dies you can download to read. The booklet contains useful information to read. I hope this will be of help to you.

You can connect with members on here who have been in a similar situation as yourself by typing in the search bar Loss of Parent. Please continue to reach out and chat at any time. We are all here for you, you are not alone.

Take care.

Pepsi

1 Like

Hi there.

I’m so sorry to read about the loss of your dear mum and dad. Loosing bath close together must be very hard.

I just wanted to post to say that you’re not alone this Christmas especially. I’m sure there are many of us on here where Christmas is going to be very different for us this year. I lost my darling Dad 16 years ago come next March and my mum, last Christmas in the early hours of 27th December. It’s my birthday on 22nd Dec and I feel sure that in all my mums suffering, she hung on to spend that last. Birthday and Christmas with me one last time.

This year, it’s just me and our two little dogs as it was just mum and me. I have to say, I dread it. No cards or kisses and hugs to share physically in this world and sadly, the adverts and Christmas songs have already started. Difficult to avoid them all. My plan is to just try to get through each bit of the day ( under the duvet if I need to ), which is how I’ve got through these last months.

I had some wonderful counselling via Sue Ryder for which I’m so grateful but then, ended up really missing that weekly chat with the lovely counsellor I had. It feel loss is all around me really but again, I’m sure that’s how so many of us probably feel.

Please just know, many thoughts are with you as people read your post. Take care of yourself a best you can.
X

I am here if you need to talk