Money and loss

I just wanted to say that money does affect loss. One woman on here wrote about having money problems. What makes grief even worse, is when you lose someone and you were financially dependent on them. There would be many people who will see an income cut in half. And, as governments cut back on assistance, as jobs are hard to come by, some people are not only confronted by grief, but are quickly left to face financial hardship, which most certainly makes the whole thing worse.

You lose emotional support and financial support, and money, or its lack, is nothing to ignore. Suddenly, someone must not only face life alone, but in some cases, must wonder how to survive. This is very bad. That is why out of loss, I learned a whole new respect for saving. And for women, this is important.

1 Like

hi Berit
and its not just women who can find themselves in this situation,
but it makes me wish there was help in place to support those left behind when losing
the love of their lives who was also the main bread winner.i know the government have
a bereavement benefit which is paid monthly think its for 6months to a year but you have to of been married or a civil partnership.obviously that doesnt help unmarried couples.
think you can also get help with the costs of the funeral.think theres a one off payment of £2000 but id suggest anyone who is in financial trouble after losing a partner contact Benefits - GOV.UK online .
were not always in a state of mind to even think of things like this at the time.and so much more to do so many hoops to jump through as well as being heartbroken and going through a host of emotions we never thought could hurt this much.

2 Likes

I am so glad that I have read this. Money certainly does affect your loss. My husband was the only ‘bread winner’ and also handled all our finances, I didnt have to do anything he done everything for us. And now I have to sort everything out, who to pay, when to pay I do wonder how on earth am I going to manage. I think twice before I buy anything - Like you Berit I have respect for saving. I am 67 and have my pension but once bills etc are paid there isnt really that much left and that does worry me. Do I really want to get a job at this time of my life ? not too sure but if needs must.

Madge have you applied for Bereavement benefit? Or you may not be eligible as you have your state pension but you may be entitled to pension credit. If I was you I would pop into my local job centre once the lockdown has lifted obviously and ask if there are any benefits you are entitled to. I had to do all this for my Mum so I know what’s out there for you. I was the one who took care of our finances as Colin wasn’t interested, so long as there was enough for our holidays and his membership to the shooting club he didn’t bother. Obviously my income has gone down but if you don’t have it you can’t spend it. Also socially I won’t be spending on meals, days out etc as I don’t want to do anything like that anymore without Colin :cry: x

2 Likes

Berit, you are spot on we are already in a state of trauma after our loss without the financial worry as well. Due to the state pension age change I have to wait another 5 years now :roll_eyes: so panicked at first but luckily my husband’s annuitys passed to me so with that and my two private pensions I will be fine. There won’t be anymore expensive holidays or new cars anymore these days have gone. I am quite content to live the quiet life till I am reunited with Colin x

2 Likes

Not only do we lose our partners but also our financial safety net .My husband was the bread winner, so with the pain of losing him and the stress of not having money coming in, what else can be thrown at us x

2 Likes

Sorry I’m having a moan x

1 Like

Not moaning Steph. Stating it as it is. Our heart is broken and then our world comes crashing down. Every bit of security we had is lost in an instant.xx

2 Likes

I’ll get the info link to financial advice put back on as some of the info is incorrect.
It is difficult to access advice at the moment and Govt departments are under real pressure dealing with the support needed to those affected by COVID.
Local Authorities will be able to signpost.

1 Like