Mood swings

I suffer from extreme mood swings ranging from pure joy to deep depression. I don’t understand why or what triggers the low points - is this normal behaviour for someone bereaved for 10 months ?
The fact that I do not understand what is going on in my head sometimes can make me wonder if it is worth carrying on with this life -unfortunately feeling very low at moment .

2 Likes

Hello @P86,

I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your wife. I’m hearing how painful this is all feeling and I want you to know that you’re not alone. There’s always someone out there to help you through this.

We know that a lot of people experience thoughts of not wanting to carry on during their grief journey. We have a video about it here which you might find helpful:

https://griefguide.sueryder.org/support/suicide

Ten months is not a long time in grief. It sounds like your mood swings are unsettling you. You mention that you don’t understand what’s going on in your head and it sounds like it’s making you feel very low. I’m sure our members will be able to offer their support, but I wanted to share some options with you to explore too.

Do you think talking to someone about how you’re feeling will help you to understand? If you’re interested in counselling, we offer free sessions at Sue Ryder. You can also make an appointment with your GP and ask to be referred to counselling or other support services in your area. We have also recently launched a Grief Guide Service, which provides articles and interactive tools to help you cope with grief. If you’re interested in understanding more about grief and how you can manage it, please visit griefguide.sueryder.org

If these thoughts of not wanting to carry on are persistent, please do think about getting more urgent help. If you’re worried you can’t keep yourself safe, you can call 999 or go to A&E. The Samaritans are always there for you, too.

Take care,

Seaneen