Mum meeting someone new 6 months after my dad dying

Recently my mum has met someone new less than 6 months after my dad dying. I completely understand that she might feel lonely and I never expected her to be alone forever, that would be selfish, but its just too soon. She isn’t asking me to necessarily be involved but to me that doesn’t matter. it makes me feel awkward to bring up my dad. I’ve only ever seen my mum with my dad and this soon after his death the idea of it makes me feel uncomfortable to say the least. Im still in such an early stage of grief, as is she, and I’ve spoken to her about my feelings and she just can’t comprehend why I feel this way. she thinks im being selfish. Again I don’t expect her to be alone forever but im not past my dads death to the point I can see/picture my mum with anyone else. Does anyone have any advice or tips to help start a conversation or to hep me start to except its a part of life after a death?

I’m sorry you have found yourself in this situation. I’m no expert in this matter but having lost my husband 5 months ago. I wonder if your mum is feeling lonely and doesn’t know how else to deal with these feelings. I do know it can all feel very desperate at times.
I’m hoping your mum has given herself time to Grief properly. Any advise given is generally , with any important decision, give yourself a good 12 months before you make any changes. It’s the best way to make sure your decisions are made with the best intentions …… it’s a shame your mum has different thoughts, but then we are all different how we cope with grief.
I don’t really have a solution to this other then to say, don’t let it get in the way of your relationship with your mum …… it could just be her way of dealing with her loss

All the best

1 Like