Mum

My mum passed away 3 weeks ago, aged 53. I am 26.
We found out my mum was ill in August this year and over the course of the next couple of months her health deteriorated rapidly. It was a virus in her brain and mum’s personality was unrecognisable in the last couple of weeks of her life. Still every now and then a little bit of her real spirit shone through with a little joke or even just a smile.
She was such a beautiful person and everyone who met her loved her. It’s so unfair that she’s been taken away from us all. I miss her so much. It’s only over the last couple of days that I think the numbness I was feeling has worn off. I still can’t fully comprehend what has happened. I’m struggling to sleep and find myself waking up through the night with terrible anxiety. I don’t know if caring for my mum along with my dad and brother for the last while has also added to the pain, seeing her suffering is the hardest thing imaginable. We knew she was terminally ill, the last few months feel like some kind of horrible nightmare.
When I get up in the morning and go to university it’s as if nothing has happened again. I feel numb and I also feel guilty aa I go about my day. I think some kind of emotional breakdown is just around the corner.
Does anyone have advice on how you can go about carrying on with your life after losing the best thing in it?

Hi David im very sorry for your loss .Have you seen your gp re medication to help (i take medication )3 weeks is very raw to say the least ,dont struggle alone keep coming here people here are all at different stages in there nightmare .The outside world doesnt welcome talk of death it turns away from it because people dont know what to say .The Samaritians are also 24 7 (i use them too .) Contact Priscilla community manager (i do from time to time ) she will suggest some articles to read .This club never closes either you have joined because devastingly youve lost a loved one .Colin (im 58 i was my wifes carer for 8 years she passed 04032016 on her 41 st birthday)

Thank you for taking the time to reply Colin. It does seem like a good place to come and talk to people. I would like to speak with people in person, in particular my Dad and brother, but it’s such a hard thing to talk about without breaking down. I will continue to use this forum until I have the strength to talk about it face to face with them.
I’m very sorry to hear about your wife, I hope you are keeping well and continuing on as best you can. One thing I keep coming back to is how my mum would want me to live. Maybe you can take strength from knowing your wife would have wanted you to carry on and enjoy life to the best of your ability.
I suppose no one really has ‘the answer’ but it certainly helps to talk. Stay strong Colin.

I lost my mum 3 months ago. She had a cardiac arrest in London stadium then came round but was pronounced brain dead following a stroke a week later. We were far away from home and I’m still struggling to deal with everything and find the right people to talk to