My big brother

I lost my older brother 5 years ago. He had terminal cancer. Nothing they could do about it . But its how he was treated by nhs staff or rather lack of. I was caring for my brother along with with my children. At first he was doing ok
Had chemo. But it didn’t work. I tried to contact his nurse but her visits were few and far between. As were the district nurses. I ended up upping his morphine dose myself. I did tell the nurse she said it was ok. He was comfy and happy despite his pain. Anyway we had a long chat about his condition. Both cried felt so cheated. He arranged counselling but i never took it. Thats on me. But what i cant get over is one dr accused me of neglect. Even tho the hospital didn’t supply us with anything until the day i got accued . I hit the roof. And phoned his gp. Anyway just as we got him sorted . He lost his battle sadly in 2019.

Hello @Rainbowangel ,

I can see that you’re new to the community, so I wanted to say that I am so sorry for the loss of your older brother that brings you here.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that may help right now.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care,

Alex

Hi. I’m just going to say I work with docs and Ive also worked in palliative care . I lost my sister too. Dont ever ever listen to opinions of doctors . They have absolutely no clue how to actually care for a patient in this sort of care setting. It’s nurses and carers who do. Most of them blame families when they hvnt did Their job right . They really have no clue so please ignore their opinion. Your brother knows what you did for him and so do you so that’s all that matters. Feel your grief and own it . He will always be with you .

1 Like

Thank you. Im sure your right. My brother was a character tbh. Im hoping hes looking after my grandson. He was stillborn. I like to think he his