My Dad ❤️

I just wanted to come on and talk a little about my Dad, and share a lot of the thoughts and memories that have been coming up for me a lot. I’m in a strange part of grief right now, I feel very numb. The tears have stopped and I just can’t get Dad out my mind.
My Dad’s name is George James Watt and was born on the 12th of March, 1955. He was 64. Dad grew up with my late Grandfather also George Watt, my Grandmother Mary Watt who’s 85 and my aunt Colleen Mckenzie who just turned 62. My Grandfather was a Whaler, and used to be away on the boat sailing places like South Georgia for months, years at a time. In fact Grandad was away whaling when Dad was born and didn’t meet him for a few months after. I recall one story Dad told me about Grandad being away for 18months, and before he came on shore, Grandma told him to ‘get back on that boat and get that horrid beard off, or you’re not getting home!’ Grandad did as he was told though, as he always did. Unfortunately we lost my Granda to cancer 6 years ago. I try to think they’re back together now.
They moved around a couple of times, Grandma always being a stay at home Mum. When Dad was in school, he was very artistic, articulate and was amazing at everything he did. He could’ve been a famous footballer if Dad had chose that path, but he didn’t like the Manager so trained to be an Electrician instead. He went on to become an Approved Electrician. That was a proud day for him. Dad was a biker and got his first bike at 17. He was in a motorbike gang called the Half Breeds back in the 70’s. I wore his colours on a motorbike Herse at his service, I could feel him beaming down on me, my hero. He had a few different jobs, a stint offshore but ended up on benefits due to heath issues. My Dad used to say he was a ‘rebel without a cause.’ He smoked a lot of pot, lol. He was always very open with me. In fact it’s something we used to enjoy together. Very unconventional we were but I wouldn’t have it any other way, it’s what made our relationship so so special.
He’d had a couple girlfriends, even proposed to one which sadly now I’m wearing the ring. All that changed when Dad met Trish when he was 21, she was the one that got away and he never ever got over her. Of course there were other ladies in his life but none compared to her. I’m kind of glad they never worked tbh or else Dad would’ve never had me! Dad has also said this before too but when you get your heart broken, you never get over it as I’m very horribly experiencing and will carry this pain for the rest of my life.
Dad had loads of loyal friends, that was proven at his service. All those ‘fuddy duddy al bikers’ as Dad called them, showing up and riding with me and Dad on our last ride meant the world to us. Dads friends were all so good to me, I’ve had a lot of support from them. I have lovely memories of them too, playing lots of Nintendo 64 or playing games of chess or battleship or Crib!!
When I came along, it was clear my Dad fell in love with me. I have so many loving photos where you can just see the love pouring out of us. He used to tie me to him on his motorbike with a bungee grip and we used to go for so many camping trips. I was never scared and there were never any accidents, despite me being on the bike since I was 4!

Dad was an excellent driver, I trusted him completely. One ride we got caught in a rainstorm on the way back home but we were still a while away. Me being at the teen stage and caring about my appearance refused to wear my waterproofs that day and was getting soaking wet!! I remember Dad drove all the way back one handed so he could use the other trying to cover my leg as much as he could :broken_heart: he really did the best for me, I never ever doubted his love for me. Dad was a fairly healthy man for being a heavy smoker. He was tall, slim ‘canna fatten a thoroughbread’ is what he used to say, he was very tanned too, big bright blue eyes, long nose, sculpted face. Very handsome in his prime! I can still see him now sunbathing himself in his backy, shirt off, trousers rolled up to hot pants with his Amber Solaire oil on. I’d do anything to have another day with him. Tragedy striked on my 18th birthday when he was diagnosed with COPD. I really had no idea for what was gonna come. I remember his very first breathing attack. I was over for the weekend. Dad lived in a bed sit, I slept on the sofa and Dad usually made a bed out of pillows on the floor in front of the coal fire. I woke up for the toilet to find Dad gasping for breath in the communal hallway, almost outside. It was awful. I was to see a lot more of them in the years to follow. 9 more years of them. I knew Dad was suffering but he always put on a brave face for me. I’ve seen him get so many treatments at hospital, big fat needles right into his stomach! Needles are a huge phobia of mine, and he used to always try make me feel better about it. It’s funny, I’ve stated I haven’t cried for ages but as I’ve been writing this, the tears are falling hard. I miss my dad so so much :pensive: since he’s been gone, I’ve really just sat and treasured how good our relationship was. How different he was and how good he was to me. He used to pick me up from school on the motorbike, every Wednesday. In fact, he just used to pick me up and take me anywhere that I needed. I just had to pick up the phone and he’d drop anything he was doing and be there for me. I’m so sad he’ll never get to see anything else. Me graduating, growing up, all those milestones you’re told not to focus on, but that’s easy to say when you’ve been privileged to have your loved one round for them. I really could go on forever but that’s enough for now. I really miss you Pops, I hope wherever you are you’re at peace and watching over me. I love you so so much x

3 Likes

Hi,

Thankyou so much for you and your dads story which I am reading on the 5am train to work!
You wrote so well about your dad and it was lovely to see your photos too, which makes it all the more real. It’s a very hard time that we are going through without our beloved parent. I get annoyed that my mum was taken too early last year at 74, but I also lost my dad aged 53 suddenly, so know the pain of losing them at a young age.
I know it probably doesnt feel like it but you are doing so well. We are getting through each day, mo matter how hard they are.
Cheryl x

1 Like

Whatt92, I just logged on for the first time today. Your post was lovely to read to start the day. Take care x

1 Like

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for reading. I still struggle getting to sleep so usually I stay up in write. I bought a journal for my everyday thoughts and a special book that I write in just to speak to Dad. It’s been helping a little. You’re right it has been so hard but here you are, on a super early train going to work! I admire that, I’m still in bed just now.

Life is passing so quickly. It’s quite scary even thinking how much Dad has missed already. I hate that.

X

Hi,

I couldnt work for many months but when I did finally get back to work full time (6 months after mum died) it has been my saviour.
It’s my days off that are so painful. I miss my mum so much. I’m just choosing my daughters GCSE options at the moment with her and I’m just thinking, how can my mum not be part of this? She brought her up with me, sat and did homework with and was walking her to school right up to her sudden death last june.
How our lives have changed in the last few months.
At work I’m able to function without crying but on my days off I find it very difficult.
Cheryl x

Hi

What do you do for work? Do you feel that 6 months was enough time for you?
Yeah, there’s so many times that things have popped up that I really want to speak to Dad about and it’s devastating we can’t. I’m still getting used to speaking up to the ceiling.
I still find the prospect of facing lots of people scary and because I work in a bar, I know it’ll be quite overwhelming.

X

Hi
I work in an emergency services control room in london so its very busy and full on, but keeps me sane.
However, it took all that time to get myself back there and I had to work 8 hours a week then gradually increase until I was back full time just before xmas.
Maybe your employer can let you just do a few hours to get yourself back in the swing of things? X

Hi
Yes that will be my plan when I’m feeling strong enough to deal with people. My Doctor has extended my sick line for another fortnight.
I’m quite lucky I suppose, no children to support, no immediate family to support through the loss, mainly just myself. I feel I’m the only one still grieving him everyday, everyone else seems to have moved on but I know that can be a quick judgement made. It’s why it’s taking me so long I think.
How long did you do less hours for? X

I slowly increased my hours for 8 weeks starting at 8 hours the first two weeks then increased to 12, then 20 and by mid December I was back working a 40 hour week.
But please dont put pressure on yourself. My mum died on the 14th june and I went back to work on the 7th October, 4 months later.
Also I’m at the 8 month stage and I still sit here saying, OMG my mum has died.
I can picture speaking to her as if she just walked out of the room. Honestly it feels that no time has passed at all x

That seems much better than jumping back in. I take it your work supported you? Did you feel that they checked in with you before your return? I’ve not really had that…
do people around you talk about her? It’s just I really don’t have anyone immediately around me to sit and chat to about Dad, that can chime in too.
I’m pretty isolated tbh.
I always speak to Dad, every morning when I open my blind I talk to him about the weather (his urn sits on his unit at my windowsill) and will ‘open the window so he can get fresh air’. Silly really but I want to keep him present in my life.

X

Yes my work supported me and were fantastic.
No people dont talk about my mum and that’s what upsets me the most.
My daughter who will turn 13 on sunday doesnt mention her at all and my mum brought her up with me, was her everything.
My partner only mentions her if I do.
My sister and her family dont mention her either. Considering our mum was at the forefront of our lives for 40 odd years, did so much in the way of childcare, lived with me and stayed with my sister frequently, I just dont understand it.
I think they all think it will be less upsetting if we dont talk about her but I hate it.
So, I’m very much on my own with this as you are x

Yes I too find it so hurtful. I confronted my partner the other day about this and he said he just doesn’t know what to say that won’t hurt me… I’m already hurting! I want to keep Dad alive and present, and I can’t do that unless people talk about him with me.
Have you ever said anything to them?
X

I asked my daughter and she said it upset her to talk about her nan.
I wouldn’t ask my sister. She is a very closed book and we are very different.

I loved reading about your dad, I could write a book about mine. He was intelligent, witty, kind, loving, an amazing man and I got to have him as my dad. When he died I felt the earth shift beneath me, the whole foundation of my life was gone and I didn’t believe life could carry on without him. It has been many years since he died and I will always love and miss him but I know how truly blessed I was to have been his daughter and how much of him there is in me. You are feeling the heart crushing grief of losing more than a dad, you’ve lost a friend, companion, mentor, childhood protector and someone who loved you as, probably, no one else ever will in quite the same way. He was all the things a wonderful dad should be and your grief is so very raw because of that so just let it come. I promise you that one day the abject pain will ease a little and you will be able to see through the fog and rejoice that you got to have this remarkable man as your dad. He is still there, inside of you in everything you are. XXXX

1 Like

Thank you so much for your reply and for your reassurance.
Although I find it hard to talk about, I want to keep my Dad alive even though he physically isn’t. I hate it that people would rather never talk about him, cause like you I see him so much in me. We have the same sense of humour, quick wit. I just wish I had some of his strength more than anything. He was so brave and strong, right up to the last day I seen him. Still getting over the shock some days. Other days I’m very accepting and will speak to him. Still not feeling myself and so desperate to get back there. But it’s not about going back anymore, I know. I respect so many who are grieving because it is an enormous weight to carry.

Love to you x