My husband died by medical negligence

Today I’m reeling, thinking about what happened to my dad. The primary care centre in question has a good CQC rating because it doesn’t refer people on to secondary care. Yes, primary care gets financial incentives for not referring on to secondary care, relieving the burden on hospitals. Well, I’d say the burden is pretty high when the patient ends up in ICU (£1,000 - £2, 000 per day) for a week.

I know the ex-pharmacist from the same place, and she was absolutely frustrated with them because of “what the doctors were doing”. She was being driven mad by the way they were doing things there, and her consultant anaesthetist husband encouraged her to take early retirement, so she did. Obviously, it would have been better if she’d whistle blown, especially as she had nothing to lose, being at the end of her career.

I’ve worked for the NHS since 2011, and I know full well that it is in deep, deep trouble. But having looked into it, none of the political parties seem to propose funding it properly (please do correct me if I’m wrong!)

And, if anyone remains unconvinced about how our NHS is being treated:

“Another challenge related to heart failure from a service perspective is that the reality is that heart failure patients are high risk and expensive to care for but when they die these costs disappear.”

Here’s the previous CQC report, which prides the medical centre on not referring patients to secondary care:

The provider was committed to contributing to the local healthcare economy and improving outcomes for patients. It had engaged in several areas of quality improvement activity which had resulted in reduced onward referrals to secondary care…

I’ve contacted CQC and informed them that my dad’s care, instead of involving a secondary care appointment, cardiac scans, surgery to remove the blockage and insertion of a stent, included all of that (minus the outpatient appointment) plus 7 days on ICU at very high cost.

1 Like

I feel your pain, I have also complained to the NHS about their services and strongly believe if my wife had received the right medical intervention when she first went to them she would still be here today, but due to their failings my wife who was only 40 years old fit and well is no longer here and the pain I feel everyday due to my wife not being here is because of them , trying to live with this pain is crippling.

4 Likes

That’s terrible, Karen. I’m so sorry :broken_heart:.

I think there needs to be a national revolt against the way that the NHS is being treated by our politicians. There should be protests up and down the country, as so many people have been affected by bad treatment in the NHS.

3 Likes

Yeh i agree ! We should be marching at poor care !! X

3 Likes

“If you had the hypothesis that the government was seeking to destroy the National Health Service…all the data that we’re seeing are consistent with that hypothesis.”

Professor Michael Marmot

1 Like

Ah, there are local groups:

They’re not even trying to hide the fact that they want to destroy the NHS and the bbc too although they’ve infiltrated that with all their cronies already but paying for healthcare is their ultimate goal so we will be like america no credit card you’re not even getting in the door. What’s not reported is the number so of Americans who die for lack of health insurance.

1 Like

Im not really bothered because you get better care abroad under private ! Just need a decent health service tbh !

1 Like

The problem is that even if they admit what they did was wrong, it doesn’t help anyone, it doesn’t bring your loved one back and they have no remorse for the pain and suffering they cause families to go through, I had to explain to our 9 year old daughter that her mummy was no longer here and that is so so painful let alone trying to deal with my own grief. The ramifications from their actions do not just affect one person they affect each and every single persons life my wife had an impact on and that is soul destroying seeing so many people hurt buy other professionals actions it is a disgrace .

2 Likes

Exactly: they are suggesting that it’s not sustainable as a public service, but they are not offering a suitable alternative. So many lives are being wrecked while they run the service into the ground.

As Karen says, it affects not just the patient but also their network of family and friends :broken_heart: and it’s not as if we can access suitable mental health care to deal with the devastation inflicted on us :disappointed:.

2 Likes

We do, of course, already pay for healthcare through taxes: £2,647 per person in 2019.

2 Likes

And you are absolutely right we do not get access to mental health services to help us either, everything that is available you have to wait for , at the cost of what? Some one else suffering even more than they deserve and in some instances costing them their life as well as they haven’t been helped either as they don’t fit the remit, but if you want to pay for it privately you can have the service tomorrow absolutely disgraceful.

3 Likes

totally agree the nhs do not give a monkey about complaints
my hospital where my wife died were ordered by the ombudman to send a letter of apology concerning my wifes death it arrived 2 months late adressed to ms not mr
3 years on still fighting a claim for misdiagnoses or not doing anything i will persist altho they put stumbling blocks in at every stage its hard but i think my wife deserves me carrying on

3 Likes

So sorry for your loss, unfortunately my husband was also on the wrong end of some shocking treatment. Took me a year of torment & blaming myself before I complained to the hospital via PALS. Obviously it appears it’s being investigated by the police so not sure if this is a course of action you can take. They admitted to certain things I’d highlighted & said lessons had been learned, I didn’t take it further. Although I know it doesn’t bring our loved ones back I felt it helped me with the trauma, getting it out of my head & in writing. Sending love & strength to you :heart:

1 Like

Really, a police investigation. Gosh. Does that tend to happen when there are multiple casualties (like at Royal Sussex County Hospital, currently)?

Hi sorry the police investigation I refer to was mentioned by the original poster. I didn’t take my complaint any further than PALS. As far as a lot of the comments regarding the failings of the NHS, blaming everything on the government & lack of funds is letting the NHS management off the hook in my opinion. Doesn’t matter how much money you throw at a badly managed organisation, it’ll disappear into a big hole. My complaint related to the lack of communication from GP to Ambulance to A & E then to the ward. A supposed non emergency requirement of a blood transfusion for anaemia turned into my husband’s death 4 days later. I’ll be haunted by it forever. Sending love to everyone going through grief compounded by trauma :heart:

2 Likes