My Mother has only a few days to live

Hi
I’m Rob and im new to this site.
It’s Mother’s day tomorrow but my Mum is dying of cancer in a hospice.
I visited her today and hardly reconized her and she is very fragile.
Tomorrow will be our last Mother’s day together and it’s breaking my heart.
I find it hard to breath sometimes.

11 Likes

I totally empathise with you. My mum passed away in November at home supported by Hospiscare. It still cuts me like a knife when I think of that time. But I also remember feeling what a privilege it was to care for her right to the end.
Spend as much time as you can with your mum, give her all your love, hold her hand, stroke her hair…
Sending you strength to get you through this difficult time.

3 Likes

Hi @Rob84
I understand, my mom passed 3 years this April, because it was during COVID we cared for her at home, so I know how traumatic it can be, & watching her determinate, it’s heartbreaking, but make the most of the time you have, sending hugs of support.

2 Likes

Hi rob - feel for you. I went through a very similar situation in January with my mum. She only lasted 1 day in a hospice - we had thought she might come home again to be honest so it was a shock when she passed the day she went in. Also cancer. She was only 61.
Stay with her as much as you can. Even overnight if no one else is staying there with her maybe ? I left around 7pm and regretted leaving as didnt see her alive again.
Its almost 2 months since she passed away and it seems like yesterday.
I hope you managed some time with her today and maybe have some conversation ? Or is she past that stage now ? Even just being there holding her hand will be reassuring. They know you are there even if they dont appear to be completely with it.
I also felt and still feel like i cant breathe sometimes when i think of those awful days at the end. I found meditation helpful. But i know its not for everyone but even just focusing on your breath to try and calm you can help.
You are not alone. You will get through this.

2 Likes

Tell her all the loving things you ever wanted to say. The thing I carry with me after my husband passed is that I said I loved him and he was able to get that out to me before he never spoke again. It means the world to have that. People can hear you when they are passing, even if they can’t reply. God bless you.

2 Likes

Thank you so much!
I’m trying so hard to be strong however she does not want me staying overnight.
I spend most days with her but very little conversation. I tell her what i feel and my childhood memories.
God bless you!!!

1 Like

Just keep loving her. She knows. I feel for you.

1 Like

Hi Rob
I am so sorry to hear that your mum has cancer my mum was the same all I can say is sit with her talk to her tell her you love her and hold her hand and say how wonderful she is and that your always love her for how she has made you the person you are today and that your always remember the special days and cherish them sending a hug your way